1939 Spec/Cent running Brd brackets

21 hours ago, Bob H said:

I have a set but two of them are damaged. They are solid and good candidates for restoration. $60 plus shipping. I can take a photo or two if you want. Bob H

Yes please on the photos. I know the stream boards are different, but I was hoping to be able to modify brackets to work  without a lot of drama. I have not seen streamboard brackets yet so photos would be helpful in deciding if other brackets will work or if have to hold out for correct. Any feedback appreciated!

2carb40: Everyone trying to help has confused me but that's not hard to do. Do you need running board or stream board brackets? The set I offered fits running boards. Stream board brackets may simply be stream board brackets shortened and I can verify that since I have both. No stream board brackets for sale but I do have a complete set of restoreable stream boards including the brackets, spendy. Bob H

Hey Bob

I have running boards on my car. They need to be recovered. I have Steele rubber repoduction replacement covers. I also have an almost complete NOS streamboard set, only need mounting brackets. I guessed running brd brackets could be modified to work on stream boards. I dont expect to find the "officially" correct streamboard  brkts. Lifes 2 short! Running brd brkts are prolley gonna be my only option, but Id like 2 know what both look like b4 I buy brkts that wont work anyway! Thanks 4 any info ahead of time! PS best removal method for old rock-hard rubber orig covers?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Streamboard (short) vs running board (long)

Can take more photo's & dimensions.  Streamboard are on a car. Running board brackets in a box (for my other car)

1939 running board bracket.jpg

Running board supports could easily be modified to become stream board brackets. The mounting base and profiles are the same for both. Stream board supports  are narrower across the flanges but that might not matter. At worst a little grinding would would be in order. The stream board brackets are shorter overall but again an easy fix. Slots for the carriage bolt hold downs are different but they could be cut in the proper place.

Attached some photos FYI. The black powder-coated stream  board brackets are for my project convertible. The running board brackets are available with a revision in the condition report. They all four have some damage. Tried to show the worst one in the photo with two only. The are all really solid and could easily be restored. Bob H

Run Bd Brkts.JPG

Damage.JPG

Run Bd +Strm Bds.JPG

Mount Face.JPG

Flange Width.JPG

Note Slots.JPG

• Like 2

Thanx very much for displaying the photos. That confirms what I had hoped about being able to modify running board brkts to work without having them be poor substitutes. Now comes the decision on which option to go forward with. Im leaning toward reworking the running boards first to see how well they come out on a first attempt to glue new rubber to them. Next up, old hardened running board mat removal. Photos and text of that adventure to follow. Oh yeah, advice happily accepted!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
14 hours ago, Freespirit3359 said:

Do you by chance still have the running board brackets you can email me at jlowry3@aol.com thanks 

Sadly BobH passed away some time ago.

My understanding all his parts have been sold.

For pre war Buick parts try Dave T.

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts. He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460. You can also write him a letter. His address is 11949 Oregon Ave N., Champlin, MN 55316. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/