Dosmo

Question about '57 Chevrolet Hood Script for 6-cylinder cars

241248_134340_0001.jpglike the one my folks' bought new (except w/o skirts and optional wheel covers,  and Mom wanted a white top)   …

• Like 1

A poster on the TriFive forum says that the Chevrolet script for V8 cars measures 13 3/8", while the I6 script measures 15".  And, if I'm understanding correctly, Bel Air scripts for sixes and eights should be gold in color, while those for 210s and 150s should be silver.  However, regarding the upper versus lower location of the script on the six cylinder hood, there doesn't seem to be, so far, a general consensus.

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)

That's correct, the gold color was used only on the Bel Air.  Lots of cars have had emblems and grilles swapped out as parts got damaged, or to convert a 210 hardtop into a Bel Air hardtop, for example.  I didn't know about the script width being different between the 6 and 8 as I never saw one of each parked next to one another.  Different countries must have had some variations from the U.S. and Canadian market, which I wasn't aware of before this thread.

• Like 1

One of the TriFive posters said reason for the different script widths was so that the total width of the plain "Chevrolet" six cylinder scripts would be about the same as the "V" for the V8s, to keep the same approximate balanced look.

I've attached a couple of photos one poster used to illustrate this point.

C7CDBCC1-4019-471E-9CE2-E36A9CFDEAD2.jpg

F0CA9DD6-C20F-4D58-8490-DFC81E0F5B23.jpg

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)