Trailer build thread

David_Leech

Building a period trailer for my Dodge, so that's why it's here in this board. It made of model T parts, so I could have posted it there too.

I have another thread discussing towing and working through aspects of mounting a hitch that can be found here

The goal of this build is for a period-correct (ish) utility trailer that could have been build from plans found in popular mechanics or some other magazine. 

The use of this trailer is strictly for going to local car shows at speeds not exceeding 35 mph and very little load. It's to haul my daughter's power wheels and lawn chairs to the show

Acquired parts so far

Compete T front axle with good wheels and all suspension intact. Just needs refinishing and tires.

Rough T fenders that will be repaired and cut where required. Not restored to new, but fixed up bit.

These parts set my height and width for the build. All I have right now are screen shots from the FB ads.

Axle was a bit over 2 hours away. My dad came with me to get it. It would only fit with the passenger seat moved right up to the dash. The ride back was awful! I took the passenger seat, he drove 🙄

Fenders were local

Screenshot_20181231-155339_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190105-164635_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190105-164643_Facebook.jpg

Resized_20190101_202756_8617.jpeg

Edited by David_Leech (see edit history)

Frame detail for the build. My radius rod connection will be likely turned around. This is a compression joint, not extension. In these pictures it faces forwards. It is designed to face backwards. My frame will be wood as shown in the last pictures (will not protrude from the sides as this one is). I have the ability to use steel. Wood is a design choice I have made. I just need to respect the limitations of the trailer

303987.jpg

303988.jpg

303990.jpg

303991.jpg

13407.jpg

13408.jpg

Local lighting requirements are:

One red tail light

One white licenseplate light

Two red reflectors as far apart as possible

Purchased from eBay this working kerosene tail lamp. Has red rear facing lense, clear side facing lense, and a convenient license plate bracket

Purchased these reproduction "King Bee" glass reflectors for WWII vehicles. Close enough!

Lighting requirements fulfilled!

s-l400.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

This is the trailer hitch I chose. Patent dates on it are 1936 and 1940. It is newer then I was hoping for but I believe it is unused. Look at the casting marks, they have not been worn away by the ball. There were older ones that were considerably less then this one, but they were all in pretty tough shape. A modern hitch was not an option, too out of place. I will of course be using safety chains to comply with local laws

s-l400 (3).jpg

s-l400 (4).jpg

s-l400 (5).jpg

s-l400 (6).jpg

22 minutes ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

A safety question - are turn signals required for the trailer and do you have them on your Dodge? Maybe a good idea to plan for them at the start.

Not according to local regulations and the dodge does not have them. Hand signals only

Fenders have had the worst damage repaired. I'm not interested in making these ones perfect. They have dents, creases, thin spots, and the one had a huge split almost cutting it in half. The other had 2 inches rusted off the front edge. The splits and holes are all welded up. The front edges have been trimmed to match and the edges folded over. They were all warped and I have them squared up again. My theory is a utility trailer would have never been perfect if it was built from scrap parts. These are already a ton better than they were before. I gave them a quick spray to see how they  looked painted. I will be brushing on rustoleum (Tremclad up here) and it will be good and thick. 

20190108_183932.jpg

20190108_183944.jpg

8 hours ago, David_Leech said:

Wow, the black certainly shows defects!

20190109_130334.jpg

20190109_130347.jpg

They might be better if you do them in satin black. They would definitely loose a bit of strength cutting the sides out of them. But if they are attached we’ll enough to the trailer sides it wouldn’t matter. 

• 6 months later...

I can't believe so much time has passed since I started this project. Amazing how life gets in the way!

Today I got the axle assembly and the wheels painted. The spokes are soaking up some linseed oil. They are original and very dry. Solid, but very dry. Here is to hoping they don't spontaneously combust!

I still need to track down some inner tubes and mount my new-to-me tires. The bearings still look serviceable, so that's a bonus!

20190721_190416.jpg

20190721_190442.jpg

Trailer-Builder David Et. Al,

I thought I would add my 2-Cents worth with pictures and a description of our "Parade Trailer".

Custom built 2" X 2" steel tubing frame with a complete Axle, Spindles, Hubs & Wheels.- All 'left-over parts' from a 1923 Touring.

I had a local wheelwright completely rebuild the spokes for safety, but left them with a clear ''Natural'  Finish.

We found an original Budd Company, Screen Side box and added some 'drop-down' wooden seats from 

a 1971 Kaiser 2-1/2  ton ("Duce & a Half") Military Truck.

We 'modified' a pair of Touring Car rear fenders and used big rubber grommets for mounting to Box.

clear-grain Red oak with all six sides of each board having 10 Coats of Polyurethane finish and stainless steel bolts & nuts to hold everything together

Even found a 1923 California, Commercial Trailer license plate for the original Dodge Brothers Tail light & mounting bracket to complete the build

If the Dodge Brothers & their Automobile Body Builder, the Edward Budd Company  had designed and built a trailer, this is what it might have looked like.

The trailer has only about 50 Miles of very easy use and is For Sale in California and can be delivered.

Questions of more information (209) 533-3663 or donncharles1@gmail.com

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

• Like 1

"Trailer Builder" David,

Well, my Wife has some relatives who live in St. Catherines, Ontario. She hasn't seen them in a LONG time.

Maybe I can deliver it to you for the cost of driving to Niagara Falls?

I'm open to ALL offers!!

Keep-on-Dodgin'

"Power Wagon Dude" in California

• 2 months later...