Those Pesky Wheel Ants

On 1/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, GregLaR said:

PC-7,

Is this ad real? 

I've come across some goofy stuff but this one takes the cake! :lol:

Greg

Greg,  I don't know the origin of the insecticide ad. It was part of an email sent to me by a friend that contained various automobilia. The exhaust pipe vacuum cleaner attachment that someone recently posted on the forum and the "Flare O Flames" ad that I posted in the judging section were also part of the email, along with the ads below.

My retort to the last ad is " if she wrecks, the Rambler will NEVER need a chassis lube, and the kid will be in heaven." 😲

car ad 1.PNG

car ad 2.PNG

car ad 3.PNG

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Penske, agreed, the kid would never make it. pretty funny stuff by today's standards. And I was the one who posted the exhaust vacuum cleaner! 😄

Worse than wheel ants, lug lice, transmission ticks,  motor moths or even carburetor butterflies, is the dreaded "Spider-With-A-Wooden-Leg" (SWAWL), the most elusive, ill-natured and unpropitious of all mechanical bugs.  I'm chasing one right now that is making its home in my newly installed tri-power set up ... the SWAWL is winning.

Speaking of the 1954 movie, "Them": it's one of my favorite movies of all time.  The production values of that movie are extraordinary for a movie of that period, and despite its horror movie theme has some great characters in the form of old cars, trucks etc.  I have the movie on DVD and watch it every year or so.  When I first saw the movie in 1954 I was a 10 year old boy living in the small Georgia town of Winder.  It was dark when the late Saturday matinee let out, and I had to walk home from the theater.  It was only about a one or two mile walk, and the first part of the walk was fine, along a well-travelled road with an occasional house and street lights.  Turning down the road to my house, I left the light and all civilization behind to walk between recently-harvested open fields.  Whatever evil insects were living in the fields were purposely making sounds just like the giant ants in "Them".  Needless to say, from that point on, "I Ran All The Way Home" (apologies to the Impalas).

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, intimeold said:

The pic of the Pontiac seats, caption, and the kid on the rear deck; could and surely would get you arrested today.

Although I posted it, I had NO COMMENT on the Pontiac seat ad, LOL.😁

3 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Maybe they were thinking of the ants from the movie called “Them” from the 50’s. 

I know I’m dating myself. 

Dave S 

I recall the movie "Them", too Dave.  Even the  commercials were pushing chain stretchers for the rear wheels.  Those were the days.

Peter J.