Need help identifying 1965 Riviera engine thanks

MarkE

Could use help  figuring out which engine my 1965 Riviera has (just purchased)

Am sure it's a 401or 425 as the numbers on drivers side of block match VIN plate

The heads casting numbers are 119614  also indicating 401 or 425

Not sure what to make of the numbers on the passenger side of block, per pics it's L followed by a gap then X117

Thanks!

Mark

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg

IMG_7592.jpg

Mark,

Hopefully you have two carbs sitting on top. The LX indicates a 1965 425 cubic inch engine with 2 4 barrel carbs. You probably have a Gran Sport or one of the rare non GS cars with this engine.  Pictures of the car please!

24 minutes ago, MarkE said:

Am sure it's a 401or 425 as the numbers on drivers side of block match VIN plate

The heads casting numbers are 119614  also indicating 401 or 425

Not sure what to make of the numbers on the passenger side of block, per pics it's L followed by a gap then X117

Thanks!

Mark

Congratulations, you have the most desirable combo for a 1965 Buick; a numbers-matching dual quad 425!

Thanks for the feedback as am definitely not an expert on this, some more pics enclosed

Took picture of transmission tag which has a BT code

If engine had dual fours etc they are long gone  

IMG_7602.jpg.a1738d991cc6eaeb158bfff03975cad2.jpgIMG_7605.jpg.0558d204238fd5e8e7918160fec2de22.jpgIMG_7608.jpg.38d9c99a692c51b07576b8ff0e0fedf1.jpgIMG_7612.jpg.91d474aecf47587399a3d0fabaeea620.jpgIMG_7607.jpg.02728c3b12a86ee27829d362a4274d73.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkE said:

Thanks for the feedback as am definitely not an expert on this, some more pics enclosed

Took picture of transmission tag which has a BT code

If engine had dual fours etc they are long gone  

IMG_7602.jpg.a1738d991cc6eaeb158bfff03975cad2.jpgIMG_7612.jpg.91d474aecf47587399a3d0fabaeea620.jpg

Nice looking Riviera!

For what it's worth, my '65 LX, non GS, has the BT trans too.

The BT trans was what was used in the '65s ordered with the 425, whether a LW or LX, unless it was a GS of course.

Next time am over at the storage place will look for this tag ( have a feeling several good bits sold long ago, the only thing the last owners knew is "thought it was maybe a buick engine, didn't think it was a chev engine" )

Thanks

On 1/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, MarkE said:

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your new '65 Riviera! 

Your car came from the factory with the Super Wildcat 425 cu.in. dual-four barrel engine.  This was a $182 factory option, code A-8.

Although your car is not a Gran Sport, it is even rarer, because while 3,354 Gran Sports were built, only 454 came with option A-8 installed.

Any chance you could post a photo of the Body Plate on the firewall? 

What more do you know about the history of your Riviera?

Welcome to the group!

Thanks for your note, will take data plate pic when can get back over to storage place in couple weeks 

No history except bought it from a local couple who were very nice but had no clue about Rivieras except they saw one in the movie Roadhouse and liked it. They bought it at local collector car auction without really understanding much about collector cars

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, MarkE said:

Took picture of body plate, looked all around distributor couldn't find a tag on itIMG_8168.jpg.517b5209d1b95ee97cb8eef333da66d3.jpg

Hi Mark,

In case you're interested, here's a decode of your Riviera's body plate:

Date built: First week of December 1964

BODY - assembly sequence number = 48,752nd Buick built for the 1965 model year

ST - Style 1965 Riviera 2dr coupe

FB - Flint manufacturing plant

TR - Trim code 601 - Blue vinyl standard interior

PAINT - DD - Astro Blue (note the meaning of the STAR after the paint code remains a mystery!)

Options: 

E - Tinted glass, all windows

X - Power windows

T - 4 way power driver's seat

S - Remote trunk release

2R - Rear seat speaker

3T - Rear center arm rest

4F - Remote control mirror (driver's side)

5K - Door guard mouldings

5G - Rear seat belts

Note that not all options installed on your Riviera are coded on the firewall body plate.  Fischer Body only coded those options that were installed in the body back of the firewall (inside the car) prior to the body being mated to the engine/chassis on the assembly line. This means options like Cruise control, Guide-Matic, 4-note horns, etc. could have been factory installed on your car, but these won't appear coded on the body plate.

Probably the rarest option in your Riviera are the rear seat belts.  Very few were so equipped.  I don't have the percentage here, but it's well under 5%. Any chance you could take a photo of the rear seat belts?  I don't think I've ever seen a factory installed set on a '63-'65 Riviera!

Wow thanks for all the info, very interesting!

Can send seatbelt pics tomorrow, noticed previously they look a slightly different color than the front belts(?), can't remember seeing a rear center arm rest, will take pic of area also

Seems like the outside color still very similar to the original which is nice and am happy the engine matches the car 

58 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Mark,

In case you're interested, here's a decode of your Riviera's body plate:

Date built: First week of December 1964

BODY - assembly sequence number = 48,752nd Buick built for the 1965 model year

ST - Style 1965 Riviera 2dr coupe

FB - Flint manufacturing plant

TR - Trim code 601 - Blue vinyl standard interior

PAINT - DD - Astro Blue (note the meaning of the STAR after the paint code remains a mystery!)

Options: 

E - Tinted glass, all windows

X - Power windows

T - 4 way power driver's seat

S - Remote trunk release

2R - Rear seat speaker

3T - Rear center arm rest

4F - Remote control mirror (driver's side)

5K - Door guard mouldings

5G - Rear seat belts

Note that not all options installed on your Riviera are coded on the firewall body plate.  Fischer Body only coded those options that were installed in the body back of the firewall (inside the car) prior to the body being mated to the engine/chassis on the assembly line. This means options like Cruise control, Guide-Matic, 4-note horns, etc. could have been factory installed on your car, but these won't appear coded on the body plate.

Probably the rarest option in your Riviera are the rear seat belts.  Very few were so equipped.  I don't have the percentage here, but it's well under 5%. Any chance you could take a photo of the rear seat belts?  I don't think I've ever seen a factory installed set on a '63-'65 Riviera!

Hi Alex,

Factory installed rear seat belts in `65 have the standard colored buckle, even if the front belts are the chromed buckle variety,

Tom

On 1/22/2019 at 3:16 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Factory installed rear seat belts in `65 have the standard colored buckle, even if the front belts are the chromed buckle variety,

Hi Tom,

You often come up with interesting details about our cars...  It seems strange the factory would put non-matching rear seat belt buckles on a Custom interior car.   Oh well.  Do you have a photo of a standard '65 seat belt buckle?

12 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Tom,

You often come up with interesting details about our cars...  It seems strange the factory would put non-matching rear seat belt buckles on a Custom interior car.   Oh well.  Do you have a photo of a standard '65 seat belt buckle?

I have heard this before; may have been from Tom. My car has rear seatbelts with chrome buckles and no markings. Thought for a long time they were factory; even had them put on my repro window sticker. However, I am getting the feeling that they were added later on.

1 hour ago, jframe said:

I have heard this before; may have been from Tom. My car has rear seatbelts with chrome buckles and no markings. Thought for a long time they were factory; even had them put on my repro window sticker. However, I am getting the feeling that they were added later on.

Post a pic of your Fisher Body plate, that will dictate how the car was originally built.

Tom

59 minutes ago, MarkE said:

thanks for all the data plate info, very interesting!

some pics attached of popup center armrest (thanks for pointing out didn't realize it did this) and front (plastic) and rear )metal) seatbelts

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8194.jpg

IMG_8196.jpg

Those rear belt buckles are later model. Your fronts are original but you are missing the Fisher Coach emblem in the recessed area.

Tom Mooney

• 4 years later...

The engine codes are on the block at the front of the valley pan right behind the crossover pipe that has the thermostat. On horizontal surface on the passenger side is the engine code. Should be three numbers and two letters. The letters are the engine code. Could be "LT", "LW" or "LX". The "LT" is a 401. The "LW" is a 425 with single four carb. The "X" is a 425 with dual quad. 

On the driver side of the same surface is the VIN number which would match the cars VIN, if engine is original.

Loren@65GS.com

10 hours ago, Chrispcards said:

Barn find trying to find out what motor is in this car

IMG_1126.jpeg

IMG_1125.jpeg

IF it’s a true Gran Sport, as indicated by the emblem below the Riviera script on the fender, it has a 425 cubic inch engine with the LX code for the Super Wildcat engine - two four barrel carburetors rated at 360 hp (that’s 1965 brake hp, not like today’s net hp.)  Dig into it deeper and let us know. These are easy to clone so look closely for other details.  Gran Sport was an option, not a separate model so there’s nothing in the VIN or anything else for you to check.  There is an article on the ROA’s website that explains “How to ID a Gran Sport.”  Good reading - read carefully and take notes. 😁

Ed