ptt

1990 Coupe hard brake pedal...

This was a first.  Cold (10 degree F) morning and 1990 Coupe (182K) started just fine.  I noticed the brake pedal was hard and red BRAKE light stayed on after the DASH LIGHT SHOW was done.  I don't set the parking brake ever during single digit weather but pulled up on the parking brake pedal anyway in case I had inadvertently hit it somehow.  Red brake light remained on and brake pedal remained hard constantly all the way to engine warm up.  Finally the pedal started working normally before I drove out of the driveway.  As stated this has never happened before.  Not even in past winter single digit overnight weather.  I did notice the fluid appeared dark so would a flush be recommended?  Thanks all.    

The problem might be associated to old fluid with a high content of moisture which could freeze, or cause something to stick in cold weather.

This might be a warning that the fluid needs to be changed  ASAP

As the started to work and the fluid is dark, I would start with changing the fluid. If the failure you to run happens again I would consider a known good switch, then a pump motor. 

I have both the pump and motor [comes with a working switch, accumulator will come too, but is weak] if it comes to that.

PM me if interested.