1965 ST400 onto a 1964 425 - will it work?

first64riv

Hey all,

I was looking to pick up an ST400 from a 1965 Riviera to rebuild for fun and learn a thing or two.  Is the 1965 ST400 a direct bolt-on  to a 1964 Riviera 425?  I searched but couldn't find anything conclusive except the stator for the switch pitch is two prong on the 1965.

Thank you
Chris

Yes, it's a bolt-in swap. The only mechanical problem is the flywheel/flexplate which may not have the smaller diameter holes which you MAY & have to measure correctly & re-drill holes plus the added electrical/kickdown/switch-pitch switches & the micro switch on the gas pedal linkage.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, telriv said:

AHHH!!!! Forgot about that. A diff. gear selector & also?? a console for a stock looking appearance.

I believe the length of the consoles are the same but everything was moved back to accommodate the new shifter.  The rear ash tray is further back as well.  The linkage might be different as well but not sure as I have never done the swap.  I’m sure it can be done.  The ST400 is a good, durable transmission and other than the switch pitch feature of the 65 and the fact that you can manually select all 3 forward gears, it may not be worth the effort.  I have owned both and I didn’t notice any appreciable difference with the 65.

12 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

I believe the length of the consoles are the same but everything was moved back to accommodate the new shifter.  The rear ash tray is further back as well.  The linkage might be different as well but not sure as I have never done the swap.  I’m sure it can be done.  The ST400 is a good, durable transmission and other than the switch pitch feature of the 65 and the fact that you can manually select all 3 forward gears, it may not be worth the effort.  I have owned both and I didn’t notice any appreciable difference with the 65.

Here is a picture of 1963, 1964, and 1965 consoles in respective order from left to right.  The difference in the 63 and 64 consoles is in the ashtray area.  As Pat stated, the 65 console is longer in the shift area.  The "diddy" boxes are the same in all three.  You can see where the differences are.IMG_0458.thumb.JPG.4d8fbea33c539644e5d0da8c1b4fca6d.JPG

IMG_0461.thumb.JPG.a686c5d4ba4dc11c1e00b377a33ba713.JPG

IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.27904586d7e8d9c782f81b76ed9fc89b.JPG

You can manually hold the 64 in any of the 3 gears.  To hold second, start out in L and accelerate to the max rpm that you desire (5,000 max?) and shift into D.  As soon as the transmission shifts, it will go into 2nd gear.  When this happens, pull the shifter back into L and the trans will stay in 2nd gear until you shift it into D.  Manually downshifting from D to L will engage 2nd gear until the car slows enough to shift itself into L.

18 minutes ago, lrlforfun said:

OK First 64: DEFINITELY, POSITIVELY AND WITHOUT A DOUBT ABOUT.....a fool's errand.  A 64 core is cheap and that's what you need. 65 and you'll have a Franken-Riv.   Mitch

Thanks Mitch.  I'll keep looking for a 64 specific.

Chris

On 1/5/2019 at 9:57 PM, telriv said:

I just removed the trans. on a '64 Riv. dual quad car that was running & driving.  I live in Ct.  IF close enough could come & pick it up. Of course not free.

Tom T.

I appreciate the offer.  Unfortunately, I am in San Diego, CA.

Chris