39 Complete headlights

These are for the 1940 cars and use sealed beams.

They fit and Studebaker encouraged dealers to install them on 1939 cars.

The 1939 headlight used replaceable filament bulbs. Depend on how much of a nitpicker you are.

The 1940 headlights were much better.

Robert Kapteyn

Yes the 40 is a better light because of the seal beam the light sockets for the bulbs in the 39 very hard to find and if you do they cost too much.

The look of the 39 is in my opinion is best.

The 39 parts are basic bucket reflector lens rim and a few stainless springs and clips type stuff east enough to rebuild.

The 39 reflector all seem to crack and the H4 converse for the bulb is the way to go.

The Champion has the same headlights.

What do you have to start with for headlights?

IMG_1694.JPG

The problem with the '39s is that the cork seal under the rim fails and the headlight body fills with water. It sits there and the base of the headlight quietly rusts away. In addition, the rim is die cast and it corrodes. The support for the cork seal also rusts away so rebuilding them is time consuming.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know anyone that has a 1939 Champion that is selling the center part of the grill.  doctraveler7@gmail.com      My name is Walt.   Also I too am looking for the 1940 sealed headlights, do not want to spend for new ones from International..