TVtommy

Uhaul Cab & Chassis...

7 hours ago, TVtommy said:

I see that Uhaul is selling cab & chassis rigs. It's a 26 foot truck with the box removed. 

https://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/equipment/759068/JH4658K/

Has anyone tried to turn one of these into an open hauler?

I would be concerned that the rear section of the frame would not support 4-5000 lbs driving on to it with home made ramps.

Thoughts?

Unless you have a CDL - carry a log book -  medical card .....

You are limited to driving a tow vehicle for private use up to 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

That model lists a GVWR range of 18,000 to 26,000  lbs ......

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/specifications/gmc/gmc_topkick_c5500_crew_cab-208

Jim

If you are a "For Hire" motor carrier you will also be required to have DOT number.

Ok, as a 30 year class A CDL holder, I understand the legalities, but that wasn't the question.

The question is, has anyone attempted it with the type of vehicle I posted in the link?

Why not? If the truck is rated to carry the weight of a car and the deck is strong enough to support it and there are tie-downs strong enough to secure it, I don't see why it wouldn't work. There are plenty of roll-backs based on similar chassis that seem to work just fine.

4 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

You are limited to driving a tow vehicle for private use up to 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/specifications/gmc/gmc_topkick_c5500_crew_cab-208

Jim

Depends where you live and where you are driving.  Of course you know infinitely more about this than I, but I do know where I live (Kentucky), you can drive this around all day with a regular license.  People drive Top-Kicks, Kodiaks, F550 trucks, and the like around here all the time to haul and pull boats, farm equipment, etc.   People also rent trucks bigger than this with a regular license. 

and...if you put farm tags on it, which is very easy here regardless of whether you have a "farm," you can basically drive just about anything on any road in the state.

I'm sure if you routinely drove across state lines like you do, you would be stopped, and that's where I can't say anything. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TVtommy said:

I see that Uhaul is selling cab & chassis rigs. It's a 26 foot truck with the box removed. 

I would be concerned that the rear section of the frame would not support 4-5000 lbs driving on to it with home made ramps.

Thoughts?

Caution is always a good thing, but you can put 4000 lbs in the bed of a regular pickup (not recommended, but possible) in a pinch, so I would think this would hold that easily. 

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

Jim

I have no idea why Jim posted the link for the C5500....is not the correct vehicle. Again, I'm not addressing legalities.

Matt, my concerns would be driving the car on to the rear deck, but after looking at the truck this morning, it seems like it would handle it easily. No one wants to be that guy who drives a car onto a deck, and the deck snaps in half....welcome to YouTube. 

It seems Uhaul does retire and sell quite a few of these things, and with some minor fab work, you would end up with a nice hauler which has been very well maintained, and parts are available. 

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2019 at 10:32 AM, TVtommy said:

I have no idea why Jim posted the link for the C5500....is not the correct vehicle. Again, I'm not addressing legalities.

I posted the link because that is the truck chassis noted in the UHaul link you posted and the GVWR range is listed in the link - how the chassis is equipped 

will determine the GVWR.

The 10,000 GVWR applies to that vehicle if used as a tow vehicle pulling a trailer.

Regarding using it like a rollback to transport a vehicle without the advantage of a rollback with a deck that tilts & moves - seems like a lot of work to load & unload a vehicle.

You can get commercial aluminum vehicle ramps thru Discount Ramps out

of Wisconsin - that is where I buy my ramps - they would probably cost more than $2000.

Looking at the images in the link - it appears the width between the fender wells might be less than you find in most full width car haulers ( 80 inches ).

That means you have to modify the fender boxes to drive over them.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Starting as low as $6,000 but without the rollback.  This 2015 rollback equipped truck is about $50,000. https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/24458703/2015-ford-f550-sd

That leaves over $40k to modify the used U-haul.  But, I'm comparing a 2015 to the "as low as" price and have no idea of the age, mileage or condition of that truck.  All the U-haul trucks I've ever rented were very low optioned trucks, fitted to take a beating, took that beating and smelled to high heaven.  That's where my analysis starts, more is needed.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:27 PM, TVtommy said:

Thoughts?

How do you think rollbacks are built in the first place? Truck makers sell cab/chassis configurations. The suspension, brakes, and frame are rated for a certain gross axle weight.  Builders figure the weight of the bed into that when calculating the capacity of the vehicle.  GMC publishes an Upfitters Guide that explains this, along with how to modify their trucks for various beds or applications. This includes braking info, wiring, and how to shorten or lengthen the frame rails.