bad news for Nissan

JACK M

Along the same lines, I heard on the news this AM, that one of the worlds biggest container ships, the MSC ZOE, was caught in a storm near the German island of Borkum and over 300 containers went overboard and have washed up on Dutch islands in the North Sea. They reported everything from TV sets, car tires, clothing, canned food, sneakers and machinery is in some of the containers. I'm sure all the electronics are trash but car tires might still be good.

18 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Joe, maybe and maybe not!  Back in the days when I worked at GM a lot of "insurance" was self covered as it was cheaper to not insure and just pay the losses.  I remember scrapping a railroad car load that no insurance was involved.  

Fair enough, but either way that cost is already baked into their indirect cost buildup that is part of their pricing.

22 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Those are all insured.  Nissan's real problem is Carlos Ghosn.

If it hadn't been for Ghosn, Nissan wouldn't have survived it's financial crisis. There is more to this story than has been told. 

1 minute ago, Pfeil said:

If it hadn't been for Ghosn, Nissan wouldn't have survived it's financial crisis. There is more to this story than has been told. 

I'm not suggesting that there isn't.  There are always at least two sides.

21 hours ago, lump said:

Hmmm...if they've got those darn Nissan CWT automatic transmissions, let 'em burn! 

That's mighty nice for you to say. At least people know where your coming from. BTW it's CVT or PST depending on the type of car for your information. I've had about 20 years experience with them so far. I've seen them abused just like any other transmission, but driven with sanity equal to anything out there today. They are here to stay and one of the reasons is they have close to 90%  efficiency. 

Couple of things to be aware of though. Strict adherence to maintenance schedule especially oil changes, and the use of the proper transmission fluid ( I only buy NISSAN's CVT ATF )for them.

FYI, I'm going to try some experimenting with that fluid on a slant pan 4 speed Hydro. NISSAN CVT fluid has in it something that we haven't had for those hydro's for a long time.  

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

"Floating aimlessly" in the headline, byline Antony Karr. If he had looked into a mirror and said that out loud he might have changed it. There's two sides to reporting. You got your ignorant. And then you got your stupid.

I have a great Navy damage control story if you ever run into me at an event.

Bernie

• Haha 1

You have to wonder what the ship and cargo were insured for?  They may not want those cars back as stated earlier! There's a great story by Guy Gilpatric from the "Saturday Evening Post" stories called "Pardon the French" where a decrepit cargo steamer was over-insured and scuttled.

Guest Mark McAlpine

About 10 years ago a cargo ship carrying about 2,800 BMWs sank in the English Channel.  BMW scrapped all the cars (understandable if they had been submerged) and did not allow anything to be salvaged from them, not even wheels or tires.  Not sure if that was BMW's decision or the insurance company's (assuming the cars were covered by insurance). 

7 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Let the greens and save the whales crowd get wind Nissan's formulating their trans fluid with whale oil, and sit back and watch the show.

It does have some properties automatic gearboxes like...

Nissan is not the only manufacturer that uses it in the automotive industry.

Ever been to Japan? Whale and Dolphin meat can be a part of the dinner menu and it's been going on for 100's of years. Japanese are not the only people to eat Whales as it's becoming trendy in Norway again. The Inuit of Canada and Greenland and related peoples of Alaska, Plus you have pockets of Indonesians and Island people of the South Pacific and North Pacific.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:58 AM, Pfeil said:

Couple of things to be aware of though. Strict adherence to maintenance schedule especially oil changes, and the use of the proper transmission fluid ( I only buy NISSAN's CVT ATF )for them.

FYI, I'm going to try some experimenting with that fluid on a slant pan 4 speed Hydro. NISSAN CVT fluid has in it something that we haven't had for those hydro's for a long time.  

Excellent advice!

Don't substitute Nissan CVT fluid with Hudsonite!!

Craig