A curious question about Jewett "Amulets"?

wayne sheldon

On another website earlier today, was a question about " the spiritualist amulets from the Paige-Detroit Jewett."

The question may be more specifically about the Jewett companion cars built by Paige Detroit.  I have heard of this before. However, I heave never seen anything definitive on the subject. A google search today resulted in a few websites that interestingly had the same couple of sentences almost word for word alike. Also interesting, every one of those websites were connected by site names beginning in "wik". Hmm.

Supposedly, "all" Jewett automobiles had a dash plate, visible on the passenger's side, containing a mystical amulet which was to protect the passengers from harm while riding in the car. 

There has been a Paige in my family for more than fifty years now. I have met and corresponded with a few Paige and Jewett owners over those decades. I have never seen, or otherwise heard of an actual amulet in any of the cars. I have read of this in the recent past, but it was a mention that I didn't give much credibility to. With this new mention, I am getting curious. 

Myth? Legend? Fact? Or urban fantasy?

Thank you for a good laugh! (I needed that!) And thank you for the link. I found it quite entertaining.

When I read something a few years ago about this on Jewett automobiles? I pretty much dismissed it and tried to forget about it. However, when I read the question about this on another  respectable antique automobile website a day and a half ago, I remembered. My short google search showed some questionable information, that (as I said) was curiously duplicated on a few different sites.

So, I wondered. IS there anything to this? DID Jewett actually install such things? I have never seen one. However, I have seen a lot more Paige automobiles than I have ever seen Jewetts.

Hopefully, at least a few Jewett owners can chime in with whether or not their cars have such a thing or not.

• 7 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 1:07 AM, wayne sheldon said:

On another website earlier today, was a question about " the spiritualist amulets from the Paige-Detroit Jewett."

The question may be more specifically about the Jewett companion cars built by Paige Detroit.  I have heard of this before. However, I heave never seen anything definitive on the subject. A google search today resulted in a few websites that interestingly had the same couple of sentences almost word for word alike. Also interesting, every one of those websites were connected by site names beginning in "wik". Hmm.

Supposedly, "all" Jewett automobiles had a dash plate, visible on the passenger's side, containing a mystical amulet which was to protect the passengers from harm while riding in the car. 

There has been a Paige in my family for more than fifty years now. I have met and corresponded with a few Paige and Jewett owners over those decades. I have never seen, or otherwise heard of an actual amulet in any of the cars. I have read of this in the recent past, but it was a mention that I didn't give much credibility to. With this new mention, I am getting curious. 

Myth? Legend? act? Or urban fantasy?

• 6 months later...