1932 REO cylinder head needed

stvaughn

1932 REO Model S with 230 CI engine. My cylinder head was cracked and repaired many years ago. It has started cracking again adjacent to the weld and appears to have a pinhole leak on the side. I have talked to Ralph at The Restoration Shop about repairing it but would rather have a better head. Does anyone have one for sale?

Steve

D8D4729E-08C7-4F28-ADE4-4DEAA0F8FDD5.thumb.jpeg.0b1bdc4d3c8f21fcb616ffa7805b957f.jpeg

I cringe whenever I see rubber fuel hose near an exhaust manifold or other heat source.  When the crack issue is resolved, please run all metal fuel line and move the filter.

Hope you can find a replacement head.  If not, suggest you look into getting this head pinned rather than welded.  It's common for Pierce 8-cyl engines to develop cracks beginning in the tower/base of the t'stat housing.  Whatever process, it's important to drill the ends of any crack so it doesn't propagate further. I've had two Pierce heads fixed by pinning rather than welding, resulting in permanent fixes.

Above all, do NOT buy a reproduction aluminum head from a company in El Paso, even if they say they have a repro unit on the shelf!  I know of several people who have sent their iron heads to be reproduced, along with full payment, and ten or more years later received nothing back, including their old parts.