nzcarnerd

Make of speedster?

Allen, 

Because of the hood to cowl alignment difference between your image a couple of posts above, it can't be the same car shown in post 1. But I think we're getting pretty close here.

Thanks for playing along...

The below link shows a Stoddard-Dayton 1911 Model 11-K. I know it has a door and no external gear lever/brake but I post it to show the alignment of the bonnet to cowl which to me is a good match to that in the OP. I would suggest that  it would not be difficult for the Stoddard Dayton factory to produce  a vehicle perhaps based on this model to the specifications of the unidentified vehicle.   The four  spare tyres suggests (to me) a long endurance type of vehicle such as might be used in a Glidden Tour. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fredsredt/4896505982/in/set-72157624609586401/

Another thought - - - If the unknown car is a six cylinder Knox, perhaps the factory fitted the car with a Knox truck transmission because of the massive torque of the large engine.  This theory could account for the difference in the design of the transmission shifter gate / hand brake assembly.  Unfortunately, I unable to find any online images of the shifter / hand brake assembly for a circa 1913 six cylinder Knox passenger car or a Knox truck of the same vintage.

I do not think it is a Stoddard Dayton. For one reason is the hand throttle and spark advance in the photo is not Stoddard Dayton. Also the shift quadrant is not Stoddard Dayton. The shift quadrant is not either the 1909/10 type or 1911/1913 Stoddard Dayton quadrant.

See attached photo.

John

69C7F7FA-D4B6-4475-A23D-04DAC3F59B6D.png

The steering wheel spokes are completely different, too.

Probably unlikely but a White had steering wheels like that. I helped pull one out of a barn a few years back, a 1910 or 11 G, and the steering wheel spider was aluminum. This car has the same profile steering wheel and looks aluminum.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

The shape of the Selden hood, on the side of the upper panel,  does not match the unknown car.  Note that the unknown car evidently has some hood damage (a slightly depressed area near the centerline hinge) due to a aggressive opening of the (aluminum?) hood.