WANTED Renault R16 any year!

Good luck with that.I too had a '71 Renault 16,a TS model at that. I loved the 4 cylinder hemi, four on the tree, weird wheelbase that was different left and right, headlights that adjusted up and down from a knob under the dash, and really comfortable naugahyde seats..What I didn't like was the absence of front inner fenders.Road salt and slush ate their way through the body, right where the wiring junction box was located. Short circuits became routine after only two years.

1971 Renault 16TS.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ah, the R-16

I worked at a Renault dealership after school, cleaning cars and prepping new ones. 

Before the R-16, we had R-8's and R-10's; which were rear engine and rear drive.  The R-16 was revolutionary; with the front engine and front drive. 

We lived in the mountains of PA; and got a fair amount of snow back then.  All of those cars, rear drive and front drive, were amazing in the snow; with just stock summer tread Michelin tires. Seemed like they would go anywhere in the snow.

I am not going to say anything about the dependability of any of them, let's just end this note, on a happy note.

Edited by intimeold (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is some demand for R16 TS engines. They are a decent upgrade for S1 and S2 Lotus Europa's, a car which is finally receiving some recognition. Decent examples of the R16 are very few. In fact nearly all 1960's / 70's Renaults are almost extinct.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)