JohnD1956

2019 - 2,019 Mile Challenge

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Oh, the goal? Beat ALL the rest!:P

Welcome in Ben! And that's a tough challenge, but wish you success!  

• Haha 1

Another 80 miles today trying to find wildflowers.  As it was we ended up at the Bat Cave state park.  No Bruce wayne was not there.  This is an Old train tunnel that was built in 1913 to make it easier to get from Fredriksburg to San Antonio.

During WW2 the line was torn up for scrap mental and soon after the bats moved into the tunnel. Now, during the summer months, there are 3 million bats that come out at night. They eat bugs and help keep our environment well.

Its free viewing and there is a nice trail you can walk down during the day. I will post pictures as soon as I recharge my phone.

In the meantime we stopped at a Raaman Restaurant, (You know Raaman, its what you survived on  in college), last week and this is the paint job in the bathroom.  Dee told me that the ladies room is similar.

IMG_2636.jpg

• Like 1

Decided to take a break from a new bathroom installation we are doing so grabbed the Special and headed out to my local Car Club and Heritage Village. With the gas gauge showing 3/4 full took some back country roads and stepped her up to clean out some city cobwebs.

IMG_4592.thumb.JPG.2afccff47d1fd1bdc2deb4a3ed6b4ff0.JPG

Truthfully I wasn't going quite that fast... I found having my GPS that it is out of gauge by 9 miles per hour faster that actual speed. I doesn't surprise me with the odometer stuck at the mileage showing and having put on radial tires... so that will be next winters project when the driving season is over.

I decided to drive back inside the Village and take a shot in front of the Olinda (A not very big "Village") General Store. I had a hand in measuring it up when at it's original location before it was dismantled brick by brick and rebuilt here many years ago.

IMG_4595.thumb.JPG.93895da2aadb363a5cdd0bade14311e2.JPG

The other reason I wanted this shot was that someone in the Club had given me a picture they had taken back in 1985 when the Store was just opened.

172896637_1958BuickSpecial-HeritageVillage-Copy.thumb.jpg.249e09c38f40b4c78769c45b90fd29ce.jpg

The Museum was open today with a Flea market so browsed inside to see they had changed the displays some.

One of the main reasons this 25,000 square foot Museum building exists is due to a very generous Member donating the money and his personal 1930 Auburn which he had a body off restoration completed before the donation. To honour his generosity she sits proudly at the entrance to the cars!

Sadly his health is deteriorating and likely will not be able to come out and see his pride and joy again...

IMG_4600.thumb.JPG.cca342fa71410fecc327c769f2285832.JPG 

It was a good day to meet and greet and stretch the Special's legs.

Got home and just about to get out when my friend pulled in behind me!

IMG_4616.thumb.JPG.d44ee173baa122a8acf588c9aabf4e2f.JPG

Things went fine and hopefully will continue that way.

Managed another 52.3 miles on the challenge if I can trust the trip odometer but that is my story and I sticking to it! LOL

IMG_4618.thumb.JPG.96a74a9984751fd5b09d9dbaae93a871.JPG

• Like 2

After a 15 mile round trip for lunch in the '60 Electra I got my annual New York State inspection done for the 17th time yesterday. About 1100 miles since last April. That has been pretty consistent since I got the car and now has me into the 87,000's by a couple hundred miles. That seems to be my natural amount of driving for that car. I had the '94 Chevy inspected a week ago and that only traveled 500 miles over the past year.

Bernie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dei said:

if I can trust the trip odometer but that is my story and I sticking to it! LOL

Better watch ol' Doug... with the smaller tires his trip odometer is registering more miles than actual!:D:o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

...done for the 17th time yesterday. 

Bernie

Just couldn't get it done on the 15th or 16th try, took 17 times.  Wow! What did you do all the rest of the time?

4 hours ago, old-tank said:

Better watch ol' Doug... with the smaller tires his trip odometer is registering more miles than actual!:D:o

Yup, figure I'll have to go more than 2,019 miles to say I actually met the Challenge but hey, I'm out there and enjoying the RIDE! 😉 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dei said:

Yup, figure I'll have to go more than 2,019 miles to say I actually met the Challenge but hey, I'm out there and enjoying the RIDE! 😉 

That why I made the two 10% downward adjustments last year.  But regardless of that it is just nice to see the odometer racking the miles up.  Just got back from a 36 mile jaunt in the '56.  nothing but s-miles  all the way!!!    

• Like 1

Kind of like "railroad crossing; look out for the cars.  Can you spell that without any "r's"?

T-H-A-T  (No R's in that!)  ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm up for the challenge..

Haven't driven much in the past few years so maybe I need a challenge as an excuse.

Odometer reset to ZERO.

Ready to drive........after she gets a bath and a quick checkup of course.

thanks

After a cleaning and some transmission fluid, I got 40.2 miles completed for the challenge. 

Hoping we have nice weather later in the week to catch-up with everyone else.

2019 challenge.jpg

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)
  • Like 4

First nice sunny 65 degree day this year so naturally had to grab the Special for a ride but more importantly, first "top down ride" of 2019!

IMG_4646.thumb.JPG.0c8229367d9d257d72de51dc322db8cf.JPG

Not a big trip but a nice one!

IMG_4658.thumb.JPG.bcb66f133bc29bcbfffc1434ee83bd6a.JPG

• Like 3

Squeaked in a few more miles today just because I wanted to have the experience again with this nice weather. 

Had to bring her back due to threatening rain showers after dinner and backed her in for a change. 

IMG_4660.thumb.JPG.858e5b891b045a060fc70aba820fca40.JPG

• Like 1

I had an enjoyable day with George.  He and I pulled out of the yard about 6:30 this morning, heading East.  About 9:00, interrupted Tom, [   pont35cpe ] power washing a tractor.  Shot the fertilizer for a couple hours, eased on East and did the same with Evan Ritter. Then on to Bonham and delivered some parts to Pete Phillips.   Headed home about 5:30 and here I am. George was flawless, going 324 miles on 16 gal.  

Total mileage for the year is  902. Need to get with it.

Ben

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good job Been,  obviously you avoided the storms.

I got out today  did probably 100 miles through the hill country after fixing my A/C.  

I will check milage later on.

My wife will not complain about being hot any more.  she will probably need a blanket.

Me, if its not meat locker cold, I am not happy.  I think I succeeded.

image.thumb.png.9b4c26d2c15ca8d66c010f857a1da57b.pngimage.thumb.png.84f293fa02988bd973bfeaa7b6f4959d.png

• Like 3

Managed to roll the trip odometer up to 80.1 adding another 24.6 miles today after completing a job early. It was a bit cool at first but with the sun out and the heater on full turned out nice while sitting waiting for the traffic lights to change.😎 

• Like 1

LolFirst fuel up of the challenge season. 140 miles so far. 

0417191936a.thumb.jpg.16ca09edf648df68bda48c0367c86d39.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, the weather has been nice enough but no chances to get the cars out yet... life has been very busy so far this year!  I’ve been able to put only about 60miles on the wagon so far but record setting gas prices here are not helping the urge to drive!  I put non ethanol 94 in both cars...

(And that’s per liter)

F5C2434A-8911-4D78-8EF8-57D55F66D331.jpeg

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Sad 1

@dmfconsult Oh man!  That gas price is astronomical !  I can see where it would be inconvenient just to burn up the money.  Maybe next year we'll set up a challenge based on distance per gallon and set a cost for fuel instead of a mileage goal?  The formula could look like :  (Fuel budget / cost per gallon ) X MPG = Goal  ?

In this case assuming a $ 250 seasonal gas budget, for my '56 it would look like ( $250 /$3.50) X 15 = 1071 mile goal?  It could work, and it levels the variation in fuel costs across all locations.    

7 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

Well, the weather has been nice enough but no chances to get the cars out yet... life has been very busy so far this year!  I’ve been able to put only about 60miles on the wagon so far but record setting gas prices here are not helping the urge to drive!  I put non ethanol 94 in both cars...

(And that’s per liter)

F5C2434A-8911-4D78-8EF8-57D55F66D331.jpeg

38 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Oh man!  That gas price is astronomical ! 

I know we are supposed to keep it non political but this borders on criminal....

Gas pricing here in Southern Ontario was averaging 130.9 per L for regular yesterday and I WANT to take the Special for a ride. Fortunately I see a pattern regarding pricing when it comes to Holidays and topped up the tank last week paying 139.9 per L for premium (91) and not planning to run a tank but expect on Tuesday the price to drop, we'll see...

Prior to the "Holiday Jump" regular was running 119 per L and we are consistently being told there is no controlling of the market, it is just supply and demand taking place. REALLY?

(getting of the box now...)

• Like 1

Wow Doug.  I feel for you.  Here, regular is listed at $1.29/l.  I’m not sure what the premium we pay for non-ethanol premium is.  The two new Buicks have the 2 l turbo, so the recommended is premium.  If I’m not buying premium, I’m buying diesel.  I’m happy we still have the option of non-ethanol gasoline though.

A rough calculation for our American friends.  The Canadian dollar is presently $0.746 USD and there are 3.79 litres in a US liquid gallon.  So, if I did that right, it’s $5.51/gallon.

@dei, we see the “Holiday Jump” here too pretty regularly.  There was an increase this week...I just didn’t put 2 and 2 together with respect to this weekend.  Collusion is regularly seen, never proven by the watchdog.  

I guess the alternative to paying gasoline prices is to give up our hobby.  That isn’t an imminent option for me.

4 minutes ago, Thriller said:

I guess the alternative to paying gasoline prices is to give up our hobby.

or go to plug power, which is not in my immediate future. 

• Like 1

Thankfully both Buick’s have/had full tanks when I put them away so by the time I use that up hopefully prices will have come back down to earth.  It won’t keep me from driving as it’s really a small additional cost given how much I actually drive them, but still shocking when you pull up to the pump. 

@JohnD1956 that’s an interesting calculation, but it doesn’t account for the times your father locks the keys in the car with it running and it takes you half an hour to get the spare key to him! LOL. 

• Haha 2