JohnD1956

2019 - 2,019 Mile Challenge

Everyone is invited to the 2019 - 2,019 mile challenge.  This challenge is all about using your collector car in the year 2019.  Basically, choose your vehicle and choose your mileage goal and then see if you can accomplish adding that many miles to the car in this year.

There are no rules.  You can use one car, or more than one car, if you like.  You can go the 2,019 miles, or more, or less, if you like.  You choose, and you keep track, and occasionally along the way post up how you're doing.  Pictures are optional but we all like pictures.  So post places you've gone,  and odometer accumulations,  or what ever helps you make your goal. 

In the spirit of Buick fellowship everyone is invited to join at any point along the way.  As for me,  I am going to try the '56 Super again this year, and accumulate the 2,019 miles.   I wish you all good luck with your goals.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

With the loss of rules, I’m going to work toward this...I have some thinking to do about how to do it and what to drive, but I do have some time to get that thinking done.  The most direct route to Midwest City is over one thousand miles, so if we are able to drive a car to that, we will meet the challenge.

At any rate, I will do some thinking and post back what the plan is.  I definitely won’t be counting the modern Buicks.  If I replace the engine in the Rainier, I probably won’t count that either as it is likely to be just the get around vehicle for the children.

• Like 1

Since the Special does not have the water pump in yet I can start this Challenge from the last "trip meter" reading of my last drive.

IMG_4108.thumb.JPG.4d0e0b60b6795efbd92e80bd5fc8dfa1.JPG

I have to use the trip meter as the odometer is stuck. 

Will have time to get things back together as the winter is about to set in and work is slow but will be ready to let the good times roll when we get into the car season.

Let's all have fun getting there. B)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

My starting mileage

IMG_1913.thumb.JPG.fef55847ff7a3588eefbc141dee04a05.JPG

Thanks for the idea, John! I just reset the odometer today at the gas station so it'll be easy to see my starting point, too.

• Like 2

So we went out today..  Its a nice sunny 70 degree day, the first one of the new year.

We did about 30 miles or so in the hills around the house.

Pictures below of beginning milage,  and a couple of interesting things we ran into on our trip.

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

So we went out today..  Its a nice sunny 70 degree day, the first one of the new year.

We did about 30 miles or so in the hills around the house.

Pictures below of beginning milage,  and a couple of interesting things we ran into on our trip.

You lucky dog you!

Happy Trails. :)

Posted (edited)

Here's where I started last year (give or take ~50 miles)...

image.thumb.png.79929d1459d2d23cf850fc13

...and this was yesterday, just about a half-mile from returning home.

IMG_1002.thumb.JPG.28732c413dea94c0a7e1a6d03c72b943.JPG

So, I logged about 600 miles with Goldie last year.  I also checked the mileage on my GP and it looks similar (about 650 miles since last May).  Surprisingly that's close to the previous year, where I estimate I put just under 700 miles on each car.  Given that, I'll shoot for a combined mileage total of 2019 this year!  ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Forgot to post this, this is where I'm starting. 

20190101_173556.jpg

• Like 1

So, will the Texans be through the challenge before some of us are able to hit the road at all?  😉

I get to visit Texas for the first time in a month having a convention in San Antonio the first weekend of February...I believe that will be state #28 for me, although I’d have to check.  Then I’ll be back to Dallas in July...fifty years of never being in Texas then twice in 6 months.  Things that make you go hmmm.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Thriller said:

I get to visit Texas for the first time in a month having a convention in San Antonio the first weekend of February

If you have some free time, I would be happy to meet up with you.

• Like 2

Starting 2019 at 50584 miles on the odometer.

IMAG0858.jpg

• Like 3

Another 80 miles or so today. It was beautiful and  warm. Cold front is coming Tuesday so got my drivimg in Today.  For all of those who are jealous. Wait till July and August when it is 110 degrees. 

• Haha 2

I get to go to Dallas in late July....

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:18 AM, EmTee said:

Here's where I started last year (give or take ~50 miles)...

image.thumb.png.79929d1459d2d23cf850fc13

...and this was yesterday, just about a half-mile from returning home.

IMG_1002.thumb.JPG.28732c413dea94c0a7e1a6d03c72b943.JPG

So, I logged about 600 miles with Goldie last year.  I also checked the mileage on my GP and it looks similar (about 650 miles since last May).  Surprisingly that's close to the previous year, where I estimate I put just under 700 miles on each car.  Given that, I'll shoot for a combined mileage total of 2019 this year!  ;)

Doesn't look like you used much gas, though.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Which car?

Ben

We’ll go there by Boeing or Airbus most likely...business trip.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

We’ll go there by Boeing or Airbus most likely...business trip.

Check the odometer on the plane before it leaves, and throw it into your goal for the challenge? 😁

• Haha 2

On 1/28/2019 at 4:06 AM, KongaMan said:

Doesn't look like you used much gas, though.

Ha -- yeah, that's the BEST part!  This 430 get amazing mileage!!!  :lol:

(I did notice that, by the way...)  Not too surprising though, since I generally try to keep it between 1/2 and Full.  ;)

• Like 2

Today is February 5, 2019 and started with the Challenge!

Really just a road test as I finished putting the water pump on and wanted to experience the highway a bit.

Stopped at home first to find it empty so struck out.

IMG_4243.thumb.JPG.41dc7717aec35ca210ab5f5bd81e693f.JPG

Not a huge amount driven but a very satisfying start.

IMG_4247.thumb.JPG.a70fb4f356425bc5f89059e2e0dd8d5e.JPG

All tucked in for now till Spring arrives.

IMG_4250.thumb.JPG.c814be8c7a924dbe7180121e6c8c04c1.JPG

Things should now be in order to be able to "Meet The Challenge!" 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's Sunday February 10th and with having lost all the snow due to a warm up and some rain, decided to take another short ride to test things more. 

IMG_4261.thumb.JPG.619db076d9541cf0b231b357c2ada88f.JPG

Expressway driving performance was great as were road conditions and traffic.

IMG_4264.thumb.JPG.0b4911fa5bdaf5504fe08ff4772fdf2c.JPG

Visited a friend and his Riviera and stopped in on Mom before parking back in the garage. We are to have an inch of snow showers tonight but happy to get out when I can. 

IMG_4271.thumb.JPG.586e678d2edebe0eb768c8ac76e44a3a.JPG

Only drove 21.9 miles today but determined to meet the 2,019 mile Challenge this year!

My total so far is only 30.7 miles but it is on! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well done!  That’s 30 more miles than I can put on for another month or two.  We will be lucky to have dry roads by the end of March.  

• Thanks 1

Its a beautiful 50 degree day down here in Texas. Sun is out and I thought I would use this holiday to get the slow leak fix. Took the car to a tire place and I was not the only one who though of this plan.

An hour a a half wait to get in in a showroom full of kids.  The slow leak can wait.

So instead I drove the loop around town and put another 40 or so mile on the car.

I am up to 126 miles for this challenge so far. Now if it would just be nice on the weekends.

• Like 1

So after last Sunday and Monday of this...

IMG_4550.thumb.JPG.e36eda39a4a8e77d8f6a80f56e02ec50.JPG

The last 5 days have slowly come about freezing and today the roads were dry so...

Decided after warming the Special up I went for another test drive.

With no specific destination in mind I finally ended up at my old College which is not too far from the garage. I went there from 1973 through 1975.

IMG_4560.thumb.JPG.897701f7d4e24d9051a8d90806c5730d.JPG

Not big miles but sneaking them in when I can.

IMG_4562.thumb.JPG.698be78e39b8833d85e167bfa77ff859.JPG

TOTAL FOR THE CHALLENGE IS UP TO 48.4 MILES so far.

• Like 1

I am in, folks.  Pictures when  I  learn how to get from the phone/camera to here. Or learn to use the phone for posting.

Started the year with 15788 miles on the odometer.  After Chickasha, it reads 16214.

Oh, the goal? Beat ALL the rest!:P

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1