Bantom driver size

Rod L

I'm thinking of buying an Austin American Speedster, anyone have any idea of how large a man can comfortably fit in one of these micro cars?

I'm 6' tall and 180 lbs. Car is in Georgia and I'm in Oregon, so can't check it out in person. 

Rod

My dad had a coupe too, he never had it finished but it would have been too tight with the seats reupholstered - I could get in when the seat springs were out. Then I saw a roadster for sale and before calling about it I sat in the one at the Owls Head Tranportation Museum while I was volunteering there and it was a tight fit but doable. I’m 225 and 5’-10” and I wouldn’t have been able to get in if the top was up so I passed on the car.

It appears that the large gentleman is sitting in the right-side passenger's seat, and reaching over to the wheel with his left hand.  It also appears that there's no way he could sit in the left seat without the wheel making a sizable indentation in his ample abdomen.

I think you'll fit just fine.   6' /180 isn't that big.    My buddy Doug drove my '72 Honda N600  (2 cylinder air-cooled microcar) without a problem. He's 6'2" 200+ lbs.   Now I'm only 5'10 but in the dozen or so Japanese & European microcars I've owned, being Too Big has never been anywhere near an issue. 

Just voice your concerns to the seller. Ask if they have a dude handy that's your approx size & do a Trial-Fit for ya. 

8 hours ago, loftbed said:

You guys are fairly encouraging, thanks.

the car is a 1937 Austin American Boattail Speedster, this one:

image.thumb.jpeg.b16df1572ba8b2a60ebd8de552b66b7d.jpeg

I believe the green speedster is home made from 1930-1934 American Austin parts and others. When the company was reorganized in 1937 the new Bantam was introduced.

It's a nice looking small car, but I don't have specialized

knowledge on American Austins.  The rear seat-back looks

very upright and thin--potentially quite uncomfortable.

The padding appears to be at most 2 inches thick, maybe only an inch.

And behind that thin padding may be plywood, not soft springs.

Furthermore, I don't see how the car could be used with a top, as it

couldn't attach to the bare glass windshield.

Mr. Loftbed, you're already seeing the benefit of talking to

like-minded car fans who associate on this forum.  Surely

anyone familiar with American Austins, such as Curti, 

can guide you further!

215hhh.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

do your homework real hard--there has to be some out on the west coast--try to finf one to at least sit in, better yet drive--try some car clubs, museums, national club roster--the more work you can do the better--its tuff to a car that far away, ship it home, have that much money invested & you can't get it , get comfortable & or drive it-been there & done that--good luck--Tom                             hey maybe you know someone in the area of the car that will go drive it for you

I will  go on record saying that the green 'speedster' is not original.  It may have   A/B parts in it.  We own a few  Austins  both American and English.  My wife buys them and I restore them.  There are two A.B. clubs .  ABC & AABC

If you want more info, PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Well I have considered all of your generous comments and went off on a completely different approach.

I bought a speedster today, one that I know I can fit into and also operate the controls.😂

It is a Rajo head 1926 Model T with Ruckstell, Buffolo wheels, rocky mt brakes, and a host of period correct goodies. I've had a whole bunch of T speedsters in the 11 years but never one like this.

Can you tell? I'm excited

E460n006.JPG.79429bd65e9c3758ec6fd3a99a060837.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jim, I'll get it in a couple of weeks. Have to wait for the transport truck to pickup a 33 Chrysler I sold to provide room for the speedster.  I've got 2 other cars i'm going to sell as it gets closer to Spring. A 26 fiberglass dry lakes racer, and a 26 "T' Huckster.

Rod