Reatta Hood Ornament

HRP

Was a hood ornament ever considered or designed for the Reatta? If so is it or a facsimile available? I have the "shield" on the front of the hood, but was curious to know if a formal hood ornament like those in older Buics was ever made or designed.

If not, has anyone eve put any type of hood ornament on their Reatta? If so, I'd love to see a pic.

This site shows several different Buick Hood Ornaments of the past: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=buick+hood+ornaments&qpvt=Buick+Hood+Ornaments&FORM=IGRE

Thanks,

HRP

There was only one style of hood emblems on Reattas. Sort of.

All year emblems looked the same as pictured. The '89-91s were about 3 inches in diameter and the '88s were slightly smaller.

When I say "sort of" The '88 and '90 Select 60s came from the factory with the standard emblem but the dealer was supposed to include with the car a special emblem as pictured below.

I have lots of nice standard emblems available.

hood orn 75.JPG

s60emb.JPG

hood18embl.jpg

Sometime back in the early '70's RIGID stand up hood ornaments were outlawed by DOT.

Some cars then came with spring loaded stand up ornaments,  but probably because they could same some money,  the stand up ornaments went away, except for some very expensive cars.

You could possibly install one of the Buick emblems (tri-shield) but there might not be enough room for the spring mechanism.

You could always mount a Mack truck bulldog if you feel you need something on the hood.

Barney,

I knew you were with the Buick division of GM at the time of the Reatta's and was just curious about this question since there were hood ornaments on Buicks up through the 1964 models. The closet I came was the Riviera  one and just wondered if one had ever been seriously considered.

HRP

Just to clarify.........I never worked for Buick or any other auto company.

All of my auto knowledge was acquired from others and my own hands on experience.

Before becoming involved with Buicks and Reatta,  I owned around 35 Corvairs (because they were cheap and I did not have lots of $$ to play with)

I still own one Corvair, a 1965 Corsa convertible that I purchased when it was traded in on a new Impala in 1968. (that's 50 years in my garage)

6 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

The Reatta was the only Buick of its era that didn’t have a stand up hood ornament 

I think the Reatta was designed to be a halo car that would stand out from the crowd. The flat hood emblem replacing a stand up hood ornament was just one of the things they did to achieve that goal.  I'm glad they did. I like the how the emblem looks and it certainly sets it apart from Grandma's big Buick. Not that I have anything against Grandma's Buick... I wish they had used a supercharged engine out of Grandma's big Buick in the Reatta even if the stand up hood ornament had to come with it. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

... I wish they had used a supercharged engine out of Grandma's big Buick in the Reatta even if the stand up hood ornament had to come with it. :)

I couldn't agree more.  I once owned '96 and '97 SC Rivieras.  You could chirp the front tires with the SC 3800.  Would have been a nice option in the Reatta...better competition against the Allante.

If anyone is interested, I have for sale a NOS '86-'93 Riviera stand-up hood emblem; $30 + shipping.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Olyeg said:

I’m currently looking for a newer looking hood emblem. Anyone here has an excellent one for sale? 

I have one for sale.  PM me for price and shipping costs.