babychadwick

Towing a Zeyphr on a dolley

Well this has got to be a new personal record, especially since it was just my 4 year old and me.  I left Key Largo (south of Miami) at noon on Sunday and arrived in Gilroy (south of San Jose) last night around 9:30.  I picked up a trailer outside of Houston and have been towing the empty trailer since then.  I will say the trailer while being heavy duty tows beautifully even if I did drive like a little old lady thru Pasadena and was not passing cars going up grapevine hill.  I should be getting my first look at this Lincoln in an hour or so.

• Like 2

Glad that you had a safe trip and picked up a good trailer. I hope that you will post some photos of your prize.

Pick up a couple of bottles of wine at the Live Oaks Winery while you are there. It is one of the better wineries in CA.

Well I got to see the car yesterday and while it is tucked away in a corner of a container I am very happy.  While my typical drive is a long haul hitting rest stops when I get tired to arrive the next day before dark and once I arrive get a solid rest for a day or two (going out was single night stops) I may be extending this trip going back.  Doing things this way I am able to usually time cities to avoid rush hour and spend more time on the road when the roads are empty.  Whether I have a trailer or not my speed has always been about that of trucks.  For me there is no reason to race and waste fuel, the mileage drop between 60 and 75 is ridiculous.  However, with this load I will be picking out about the slowest truck and "hanging" with them.  Alex (my son) has been doing great, after all this is far from his first long distance trip.  He has done flights from Bangkok to Miami, road trips from Miami to St. Louis and this is not his first cross country trip. 

20190111_123753.jpg

20190111_123813.jpg

• Like 1

Your interior, specifically the seat fabric, looks better than mine.  I am jealous.  It looks like the fabric around the arm rest on the passenger door is coming apart.  Mine did that too but I think it was replaced at one time.  Its looks like it was replaced with corduroy on mine!  LOL.

My son is eight now but I couldn't imagine taking him on a road trip like you and your son are on now at that age.  I bet you two are having a lot of fun.  I will place another wager as well - it's a great experience that he will appreciate and understand more and more as he grows older.

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.  That's one of the things that I truly enjoy about this forum.

Good job, looks like a great car, my son still talk about some of our great car adventures together, some similar to yours.

Am sure you will get lots of help from the Zephyr guys. Best of luck!

Before heading out I did a little work on my Mom's speedster.  Having the two together makes me wonder how viable when running great the Lincoln would be for towing a speedster.

20190118_161412.jpg

When that car was new it may have towed a camper trailer that would have been heavier than the speedster on a light trailer.

Oops, left caption off previous Post.
My  38 LZC  hauls V8 60 speedway midget OK to display days.  Allow space ahead for braking, not very relaxed driving in traffic.

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)

My thought was to build one out of aluminum I-beam I can most likely reclaim from an old boat trailer and put a HD single axle with brakes.  I have also thought about upgrading the brakes on the '38.

So far we have trailered her back the first leg or about 700 miles, the long haul is next.

For those wondering I pulled in tonight after a successful tow from the Bay Area in CA to the FL Keys.  Only issue beyond taking it slow were a couple flat tires.

• Like 1

Good job, and a memory your son won't forget. Had similar car related experiences with my kids and they still talk about them.

Oh, and they age well too!