1935Packard

Vintage dealership buildings that are still around

The building for Frame Chevrolet was razed several years ago.  CVS pharmacy now occupies the spot. 

The Howard Motor Company building is gorgeous and your night photo is really cool.  Too bad about the ugly chain link fence and street light in front but I suppose such things are necessary nowadays.  Wonder if they had cars on those balconies (ramp or elevator)?

On 1/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, Uncle_Buck said:

...The Chevy dealer was next to the towns funeral parlor...

Was there a correlation?  🤣

Yes, Frame Chevrolet building in Mineola is gone and replaced by BORING modern stuff. BUT the one time Chevrolet dealer building in Floral Park further west on the north side of Jericho Turnpike is still there essentially looks the same but in need of repair , which in the past month seems to be taking place (!!!) as all the glass windows are being replaced. It was FK Motors when it was selling Chevrolets. It is on the very eastern end of the Village of Floral Park.

4 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Too bad about the ugly chain link fence and street light in front but I suppose such things are necessary nowadays. 

CHuDWah, I'm pretty sure the fence is just temporary as the building is currently vacant. This is a pretty decent part of town so it's probably just a precaution.

I wish I had an idea for the building that would pay. I'd rent that space in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

CHuDWah, I'm pretty sure the fence is just temporary as the building is currently vacant. This is a pretty decent part of town so it's probably just a precaution.

I wish I had an idea for the building that would pay. I'd rent that space in a heartbeat.

Yes, and the street light has been around for a while: You can see it in the 1956 picture when it was Noll Auto.

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Antique car theme bar/restaurant?  Those balconies would make great semi-private dining/party rooms.

• Haha 1

Here in Edmonton, Alberta "The Freeman Company" - Alberta distributors for Hudson and later Essex and Terraplane opened in 1912 and eventually ended up at this location 1933 until it's demise in 1939. In 1975 Bill Comrie's "Big Brick Warehouse" moved into this building, it's now called "The Brick" and has 135 stores across Canada. Pictures from back then and just a few hours ago.

nd-3-6749.jpg

nd-3-5969.jpg

IMG_1548.JPG

Bennett Buick, Wayland, NY. Established 1922.

Jim, current Bennett In Charge came home from his birth in a new 1960 Buick.

image.thumb.jpeg.91b1df433fbb8b1337f46e85d481681e.jpeg

1036596197_2003.thumb.jpg.23b079f98f7cb9e256938c8d0513281b.jpg

• Like 1

Here is one you can tour www.americaspackardmuseum.org Open Tuesday through Sunday most days of year and wonderful display of Packards too

f62ce8354140e658891e93034636d08a.png.fe129f1fce7aefe1bb034a866831b2e3.png

d256b0ed-e55b-46a4-94ed-fffeb4e0bfb2_d.jpg

Any idea what Krauss's line was?

The build card for my Plymouth says it was shipped to Lang Motors in Rochester, NY. I found a listing for Lang Motors in a 1934 city directory for Rochester showing an address of 775 Culver Road. Looking at Google Street View, I can believe the building currently at that location is from that era and could have been a automobile dealer.

775 Culver Road.jpg

Posted (edited)

The Packard Building at the corner of Empire & Washington Streets in downtown Providence, RI. Built before WWI as a Packard dealership. I used to work just down the street from it.

335879373_PackardBuilding.jpg.c5fd2ff1c3cea143a775b0deeb5d4783.jpg

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Studebaker Building
St. Pete Studebaker Bldg01.jpg

The Studebaker Building (also known as the USGS Center for Coastal and Watershed Studies) is a historic site in St. Petersburg, Florida. It is located at 600 4th Street South. On July 5, 1985, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

Built in 1925, the Studebaker Building is historically significant for its association with the Florida Land Boom of the 1920s and the relationship of the automobile industry and suburbanization. The building symbolizes the importance of the Studebaker automobile within that industry in the 1920s, particularly the Peninsular Motor Company of southwest Florida, the fourth largest Studebaker dealer in volume in the country by 1925. When the building opened, the company was the fourth largest Studebaker dealer in the world. The company employed 300 people, with 56 working in St. Petersburg's showroom. However, by 1926 the Peninsular Motor Company went bankrupt as a result of the collapse of the boom, and the Studebaker Building was closed.[2]

From around 1928-32 this building in Pittsfield MA was McConnel Motors Inc a Dodge Brothers dealership where my panel truck was originally delivered to. To the left would have been the service station that was owned by Walter McConnel also.

I've contacted a local historian there in Pittsfield MA who just happened to go to high school with the man that owns the body shop today. 

McConnel Motors Inc 2.jpg

McConnel Motors Inc 3.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

My sincere thanks to all who are contributing to this particular topic. I love old cars and love old buildings that are some how connected to the cars.

Walt

• Like 3

Wunnerful - wunnerful !!  Those 60’s Pontiac dealerships have me lusting for those Poncho brutes in and around the building.  Those were the days ...

The big outdoor neon dealership signs are tops too.

And lastly, those buildings sure looked better as a home to those GM pavement-rippers then they do today.  

• Like 1

This post and topic just keeps getting better and better! what a way to start the new year off RIGHT! 

If the weather ever gets warmer again and it stays dry, I hope to do a walking tour of NY City ( not all of it (!) but part of it) to view the buildings that were built for automobile use but now are home to other businesses. Most of the buildings I am looking into were built pre WWII. I came up with the idea and mentioned it to Richard Lentinello of Hemmings Classic Car magazine and he was all for it and it is still planned , but it will now occur sometime in the Spring as this past Fall was to wet to make it happen . I will let all know when we see some clearer, warmer weather.

WG