Vintage dealership buildings that are still around

On 1/17/2019 at 7:34 AM, Uncle_Buck said:

Townsend was the closest Pontiac dealer to me when in my high school years (class of ‘67).  Oh how we drooled over those big-inch Poncho’s in that very showroom.

Tri-Power, Wide-Track, 8 lug wheels, Catalina 2+2, Bonneville, Grand Prix, GTO.

Bring ‘em all back !!

A7ACA970-0AD4-4F00-A875-50E8EFD10E99.jpeg

You must be, like me, a "Region Rat"?  Personally I spent my time across the street at Walter & Lennertz Oldsmobile.

• Like 1

O.k. Found another one...a Pontiac dealer on Jamaica Ave Woodhaven Queens. Then and now. I searched but cannot find the dealership name.

It looks like a few dealers in a row. Pontiac, Mercury, Packard, Oldsmobile,  Plymouth and can’t  see the whole sign but I think Studebaker, all between 97th-98th streets. I’ll post some of them next.

-Frank

88123E29-5A16-4DA7-9AAA-3641479052F1.png

7EED35B4-BD9F-48C0-A5C0-4C7426F6D1AB.png

• Like 1

WQ59B, Wow, you are really digging up great pictures of dealerships. The Pontiac dealer that I remember in that area was Cunningham Pontiac. They had two locations in Queens. One under the Elevated train on Jamaica Ave. in Woodhaven, and a showroom on Queens Blvd., in Forest Hills. There was a Packard dealer, Woodhaven Motors located on the corner of 98th. Street. Their address was 98-01 Jamaica Ave. Their service garage was several blocks away at 88-04 102 St. John

I think the numbers were modified/changed tho, no? Transom number in the vintage shot say "97-14" and I remember seeing "182-30" when I was looking for info on Strang. Hyphens... or am I misreading it?

I list a Cunningham Pontiac @ 1212-02 Jamaica Ave. The source was from 1977, and there the 'city' was listed as Richmond Hill.
I live in Jersey but NYC stuff confuses me sometimes (I never go into the city).

EDIT" talked to a native NYer buddy- it's common to also/instead use neighborhood names vs. Borough names. 'Richmond Hill is a neighborhood in Queens.

Edited by WQ59B (see edit history)

As the neighborhoods became built up, the dealers moved from Jamaica Ave.  to larger locations. On Woodhaven Blvd., for instance, Haven Chevrolet was South of Jamaica Ave. along with Litchfield Studebaker, later Litchfield Buick. Yes, Cunningham Pontiac was on the Woodhaven, Richmond Hill boarder.

Frank,  the numbers 97-02, 97-20 , are the address numbers, meaning that these rows of buildings are on Jamaica ave. are between 97th., and 98th, Street.  The 02 to 20 even numbers are on the South side of Jamaica Ave. Odd numbers are North side of street. Thanks. John

I believe I mentioned this on the forum before, there's a building in Cincinnati that used to be a Cadillac dealership in the 30's.

It's now occupied by Hixson Engineering, 659 Van Meter Street.  It's a four story building, and every floor was capable of holding cars.

It has the further distinction of being the tallest building in the United States that's accessible from grade on all floors.  It's on the side of a hill, and the road wraps around it, so it was perfect for a dealership.  Note, on the left side of the picture, the access ramp to the fourth story.Hixson.thumb.jpg.3a1ac2ae23986029f60000801d9d585e.jpg

Anyone from Cincinnati, or elsewhere, have any  further information on the building and dealership?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John S. said:

I believe, if I am not mistaken, this was an exhibit at the Chicago Worlds Fair. I remember a post card issued  of an evening shot of  the display all lit up. John

Yes, good memory!  http://neplains.com/1933-chicago-worlds-fair---nash-cars---century-of-progress.aspx

2107456468_ScreenShot2019-01-29at2_51_42PM.png.4cdfa27d40bb4b8be22b0e3b8a819d52.png

This doesn't quite fit the requirements as it doesn't seem to have been a dealership and it isn't likely still around, but I don't think anyone would mind.  Awhile back this image was posted on the MTFCA forum and was thought to have been taken in Gettysburg.  Nothing there really fit the bill, though.  Some time later I was in a shop and there was a large framed photo of this on the wall and the owner knew some more about it saying that it was supposed to be a Rotary Club gathering in Hanover, PA.  On his copy you can see "Baltimore St." written across the bottom.  The image is out there floating around because back in the 1970's a local historical society was having interesting photos reprinted and selling them to raise funds.  While a lot of significant buildings remain in Hanover, I believe these have been demolished and today is the site of a Rite Aid Pharmacy.  Looks like a White, two Ramblers, and Model T.  The T looks to be a 1909 with flat billed fenders and no windshield.

It was listed as the "Adams Sporting Goods House" in a 1910 Blue Book (likely the same year the photo was taken judging by the dealer plate on the T.  My earlier Blue Book does not mention it):

https://books.google.com/books?id=Pa9JAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA370&lpg=PA370&dq=adams+garage+sporting+goods+baltimore+street+hanover&source=bl&ots=sI3n63MwHZ&sig=hcIy2Osn7OppJTk0hRA9gUlcwOg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj79dDpl5DYAhVi74MKHVHPDYsQ6AEIhQEwCA#v=onepage&q=adams garage sporting goods baltimore street hanover&f=false

This 1912 Horseless Age would seem to indicated that they added a brick garage:

https://books.google.com/books?id=EU4bFBh2WKQC&pg=PA1109&lpg=PA1109&dq=adams+sporting+goods+house+hanover&source=bl&ots=RXAJIK0Djo&sig=xLddBOc0ixY86VNk1hSvkIEhN0Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_tayZm5DYAhWL34MKHe5BDWU4ChDoAQgnMAA#v=onepage&q=adams sporting goods house hanover&f=false

In 1915 Hanover was badly damaged by a tornado and the Garage is seen in several photos here.  I have not been able to determine its fate immediately thereafter:

https://books.google.com/books?id=HZIleoDNRKAC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq="adams+sporting+goods+house"&source=bl&ots=Gf_JHF4lCR&sig=KicF2ii2gPiy4fet4aumRlW3xzU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik_NzV15jYAhWkg-AKHY5FAUkQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q="adams sporting goods house"&f=false

Adams Garage.jpg

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Midway Motors (Buick-Dodge Bros.), Waterville, WA.

13midway.jpg

In the 70s, when I remember it open it was Chevrolet and a few other GM brands. I believe it was called Big Bend Motors. Much more recently it had an antique store in it. It still stands.

fPoA5tK.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, John S. said:

The Pontiac dealer that I remember in that area was Cunningham Pontiac. They had two locations in Queens. One under the Elevated train on Jamaica Ave. in Woodhaven, and a showroom on Queens Blvd., in Forest Hills.

02 143 Cunningham (NY).png

02 144 Cunningham (NY).png

• Like 1

This is an old Buick dealership in Fredricksburg, Tx. Not sure of the age, but it strikes me as 50’s. It recently became a tasting room and the wine barrels obstruct some of the showroom windows now. I always like to check it out when I’m in town and drive by. 

I had dreams of putting my dad’s cars on display in the showroom as a mini museum. Of course I knew that wouldn’t happen, but it was fun to think about.

There happens to be a rather large classic car dealership in town called Street Dreams, but they are in a modern building. I like to visit them and check out their cars when I’m in town. https://www.streetdreamstexas.com/

6722746C-6790-4214-9008-7330046B82BE.png

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 3:54 PM, trimacar said:

I believe I mentioned this on the forum before, there's a building in Cincinnati that used to be a Cadillac dealership in the 30's.

It's now occupied by Hixson Engineering, 659 Van Meter Street.  It's a four story building, and every floor was capable of holding cars.

It has the further distinction of being the tallest building in the United States that's accessible from grade on all floors.  It's on the side of a hill, and the road wraps around it, so it was perfect for a dealership.  Note, on the left side of the picture, the access ramp to the fourth story.Hixson.thumb.jpg.3a1ac2ae23986029f60000801d9d585e.jpg

Anyone from Cincinnati, or elsewhere, have any  further information on the building and dealership?

When built  it was the Lincoln dealer for sure (and may have been Mercury too).  A friend talked about going there with their father to have their Zephyr's repaired  -Charles Koch (the friend) whose father was a brewmaster had moved to Cincinnati from St Louis in the depression to brew in Cincinnati,  Jim Koch of Samuel Adams/ Boston Beer would be the son and grandson.  The building is a structural architectural - interiors firm and I understand  the building is 100% reworked with no historic interior features remaining.   The building sat on the hillside of Mount Adams/downtown for years untouched prior to the renovation.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...