Vintage dealership buildings that are still around

I was thinking tonight about vintage dealership buildings that still exist, either still being used as car dealerships or preserved but being used for other purposes.

The thought was inspired by driving past the Howard Motor Company building, on Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, California, right on the Rose Bowl Parade route this morning.  The building was built in 1927 as a Buick dealership.  In1938, it became a Packard dealership until the late 50s. In 1996 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.  It's now vacant, and lights were on inside letting me see some details inside. Here's an outside shot, with apologies for all the Rose-Bowl-Parade-route trash on the ground: 

IMG_0114.thumb.JPG.913490f8ae60c2770cd0bf162573dcd5.JPG

And here's a shot of the interior from the front door area:

IMG_0110.thumb.JPG.b6227d6c467fd659baccb5f8237bcbd5.JPG

And a picture up close of the entrance: 

IMG_0111.thumb.JPG.d675bca0ab851825402f5c8c871764d8.JPG

Finally, here's a picture of the building from when it was operating as a Packard dealership, Noll Auto, in 1956:  

49768862_ScreenShot2019-01-01at10_22_45PM.png.67c1b91d48251778805b9322e86a553f.png

Such a cool building, although presumably less practical today than it was in 1927.  

It occurs to me that others may have their own favorites of old dealership buildings that are still around, either still being used as car dealerships or just in something close to their original form.  If so, please feel free to post pictures!  And my apologies if others have hosted similar threads; I looked but didn't find anything similar.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Cool old buildings! I have nothing so glamorous to offer, but about 15 years ago there was still a prominent Chevy dealership downtown in the same building they'd occupied for 50 years or more.  Now the building is vacant, though I think they've tried different uses since then, none really very successful, I don't think. The big pic gives you some of the interesting period architectural details, though.

image.jpg.

Image result for old location O st. Lincoln, NE Duteau Chevy

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

This is W.Gordon Snelgrove's Chevrolet dealership in Aylmer,Ontario ca.1925. The building still stands and last time I checked,it was a laundromat. It's very probable that my '21 Chevy was bought there new.

W.Gordon Snelgrove Chevrolet , Aylmer Ont. 1927.jpg

490_01.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is an interesting building in downtown Hickory, NC.  From the owners website: 

"The Harper Family built the two-story brick structure in 1928 as a Ford Dealership, which continued until 1970 before it became Armstrong Ford.  In 2005 the Jackson Family purchased the building and it served as the home of the family business, The Jackson Group, from 2005 to 2018.

Zagaroli Construction Company completed the renovation for the Jackson Family, keeping many of the beautiful features of the 1920’s building such as the original pressed tin ceiling and the terrazzo floor in the lobby.

A common belief is that the beautiful arched window on the front of the building, flanked by the two small port-hole windows, was built to resemble the front of an old Ford car."

Jackson Group.jpg

Here's a Chevy dealership in the small town of Thrall, TX.  The town was founded about 1875 by German immigrants. I know nothing about the dealership, although they must have served the surrounding farms.

I last checking on the building about 3 years ago - it was still there. 

89Camaro at Thrall.JPG

• Like 3

I was able to take a photo a few years ago  where I purchased my '86 Monte Carlo from, "Rhinebeck Garage", in Rhinebeck, New York... it was one of the oldest Chevrolet Dealerships in Dutchess County. The building was sold and divided up into smaller stores.

13568765_627407514087847_1749869476299391349_o.jpg

Here in Burlington, VT what used to be the Lake View Buick dealership building is still in use, but not as a car dealer anymore.  On the back corner of the left side of the building is an overhead door that opens to a ramp that goes to the second floor where the parts & service departments were situated.  The building was new in 1924 and ceased being a dealership in 1972.

The new & used cars were parked on a lot across the street. There's a building on that lot now.

Wes in VT

100 Main St.JPG

• Like 1

Charles Howard, who was a multi-Buick dealership owner and built the Howard Motor Company Building, also owned Howard Manor here in Palm Springs. And, although he was a very successful auto dealer, his biggest claim to fame was that he owned the champion thoroughbred Seabiscuit (who's grand sire was Man-o-War).  I know Charles' grandson Bob well. He comes to my bar/restaurant regularly and has, probably the largest taxidermy collection in the United States, if not the world. It's quite magnificent if you ever get an opportunity to view it.

I'm very happy to see the HMC Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

seabiscuit.jpg

3 hours ago, Pancho's ride said:

In Pasadena you can also find the old Don Lee Cadillac and La Salle dealership as well as the the old Nash dealership.  

7EC15DED-A093-4C99-ABF9-A34D21F4ACA5.jpeg

I was wondering about that building!  I happened to drive by it last night, too, and I wondered about what it originally had been.  Fascinating to know that was Don Lee's Pasadena Cadillac/LaSalle dealership.  I see from this site that there's another cool picture from inside the service area in 1932. 

1482440202_ScreenShot2019-01-02at10_11_58PM.png.bf350420fe1f3542c9485e36e4f0c4f5.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Interesting topic !!

I remember these 3 dealerships from my hometown, Burlington, WI very well.  Owner ‘Gov’ Cunningham proudly stands next to a new Buick and Olds.  The Chevy dealer was next to the towns funeral parlor.  And finally we have the Rambler- Studebaker dealer.  All were within walking distance in the small downtown.

The Buick and Chevy buildings remain, re-purposed.  A fire took the Rambler-Studebaker building years ago.

Trying to find a picture of Miller Motors, the towns Dodge dealer, which has stayed in the family for over 70 years and remains a Chrysler dealer to this day.  They have moved to the outskirts of town to a large facility that now includes the Ford family of cars/trucks.

C6BBBB95-07A2-4B35-A03E-3ACA5A84A8DA.jpeg

C8D7C190-676F-4E3E-8504-9DD5A796FDB6.jpeg

4E2AC7E2-9896-4740-8937-1F086CEC2719.jpeg

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Chicago's Motor Row has a number of old dealership buildings slowly being redeveloped. There's one car dealer there, a brewery, event space(s).  Bob Joynt does an architecture tour there with the Chicago Architecture Center. Quote from their site below https://www.architecture.org/tours/detail/motor-row/

"Take a trip back into the Golden Age of the automobile when all your automotive needs could be found in what remains the most intact historic automotive mall in the United States. The Landmark Motor Row Historic District contains more than 50 buildings related to early 20th century automotive history...Chicago's Motor Row Historic District is recognized as an official Historic Landmark District. During the first part of the 20th century over 100 automobile manufacturers and dealers established dealerships on Michigan Ave. between 14th and 24th Streets  including Hudson, Marmon, Thomas Flyer, Cadillac, Premier, F.I.A.T. Stevens Duryea, Locomobile, Auburn and Cord. Architects prominent in the era like Alfred Alschuler, Philip Maher, Holabird and Roche and others found the automotive industry a prime source of commissions. Many significant buildings in a variety of styles remain in this once thriving district known as Motor Row."

Wiki page has a number of recent photos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Row_District

This building was the Packard dealership located in Grass Valley, California from 1930 until about 1952.   The sign attached to the front of the building was located inside the old dealership by the current owner who now uses the building for his flooring company.  

IMG_6114.JPG

Charlotte, NC - CC Coddington was the Buick Distributor for North and South Carolina.  Although the photo is labeled as Thomas Cadillac-Olds, it is the Coddington Building located on West Trade Street.  Thomas Cadillac looked much like this building but was on S. Church Street.  Frank Woods Pontiac can be seen in this S Tryon Street shot.  Notice the '42 DeSoto parked on the street.  Nash Dealer on West Fifth Street.  The Coddington Building and Nash Building still exist.

CC Coddington Building.jpg

Frank Woods Pontiac S Tryon 42 DeSoto.jpg

Nash Charlotte NC.jpg

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I was wondering about that building!  I happened to drive by it last night, too, and I wondered about what it originally had been.  Fascinating to know that was Don Lee's Pasadena Cadillac/LaSalle dealership.  I see from this site that there's another cool picture from inside the service area in 1932. 

1482440202_ScreenShot2019-01-02at10_11_58PM.png.bf350420fe1f3542c9485e36e4f0c4f5.png

That’s a great photo of he interior! I had a carpentry shop at the end of Union Street. Turns out that Walter M Murphy had his coachbuilding factory in the same location. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/murphy/murphy.htm

• Like 1

The Howard Motor Company building is gorgeous and your night photo is really cool.  Too bad about the ugly chain link fence and street light in front but I suppose such things are necessary nowadays.  Wonder if they had cars on those balconies (ramp or elevator)?

Yes, Frame Chevrolet building in Mineola is gone and replaced by BORING modern stuff. BUT the one time Chevrolet dealer building in Floral Park further west on the north side of Jericho Turnpike is still there essentially looks the same but in need of repair , which in the past month seems to be taking place (!!!) as all the glass windows are being replaced. It was FK Motors when it was selling Chevrolets. It is on the very eastern end of the Village of Floral Park.

4 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Too bad about the ugly chain link fence and street light in front but I suppose such things are necessary nowadays. 

CHuDWah, I'm pretty sure the fence is just temporary as the building is currently vacant. This is a pretty decent part of town so it's probably just a precaution.

I wish I had an idea for the building that would pay. I'd rent that space in a heartbeat.

48 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

CHuDWah, I'm pretty sure the fence is just temporary as the building is currently vacant. This is a pretty decent part of town so it's probably just a precaution.

I wish I had an idea for the building that would pay. I'd rent that space in a heartbeat.

Yes, and the street light has been around for a while: You can see it in the 1956 picture when it was Noll Auto.

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Antique car theme bar/restaurant?  Those balconies would make great semi-private dining/party rooms.

Here in Edmonton, Alberta "The Freeman Company" - Alberta distributors for Hudson and later Essex and Terraplane opened in 1912 and eventually ended up at this location 1933 until it's demise in 1939. In 1975 Bill Comrie's "Big Brick Warehouse" moved into this building, it's now called "The Brick" and has 135 stores across Canada. Pictures from back then and just a few hours ago.

nd-3-6749.jpg

nd-3-5969.jpg

IMG_1548.JPG

The build card for my Plymouth says it was shipped to Lang Motors in Rochester, NY. I found a listing for Lang Motors in a 1934 city directory for Rochester showing an address of 775 Culver Road. Looking at Google Street View, I can believe the building currently at that location is from that era and could have been a automobile dealer.

775 Culver Road.jpg