CTCV

Up Draft replacement carb for 32 344cid

Is there a modern updraft carb I can bolt to the intake without the heat riser? I can make an adapter plate but wondered if anyone can recommend one with the best option to tie in the throttle linkage. 

Many do not seem to have enough CFM.

Tony

Posted (edited)

I suggest you just replace the heat riser by welding mating flanges onto a length of tubing to replace the heat riser. 

However, if you are just looking to replace the carb, check out Carter BB-1 carbs available in several sizes.

IMG_20190102_095552317.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

According to the title of your thread, you have a 1932 Buick 344 (assuming series 80 or 90).

The following is based on the assumption that you have an 80 or 90 series:

The 80/90 used a Marvel TWO-BARREL updraft carburetor.

You are looking for a modern replacement.

To my knowledge, the LATEST (modern?) two barrel updraft carburetors were: (A) Stromberg UUR-2 used on a WWII White truck, and (B) another Stromberg UUR-2 used on the late 1930's Bugatti type 57.

The White truck carbs used to surface occasionally through military surplus vendors, to the chagrin of those buying them thinking they had found the Leprechaun's pot of gold; only to find they needed to empty their own pot of gold to convert the truck carburetor into passenger use.

And do you really wish to compete with the Type 57 folks for the Bugatti carb?

Assuming you acquire one of these (or an earlier UUR-2, UU-2 OO-2, Zenith 105-DC, Schebler S Duplex, Penberthy Duplex, Johnson Duplex, or Detroit Lubricator/Stewart Duplex), it still cannot be used with original manifold. You will have to fabricate a fairly complicated adapter; and you may/may not have sufficient clearance for any of the above mentioned carbs; and recalibration would be a major/expensive issue.

Mark mentioned the Carter type BB-1 updraft, BUT THIS IS A SINGLE BARREL CARB!. One-barrel -> two-barrel adapters do not work well, especially updraft; PLUS the largest of the Carter BB-1 carbs maxes out on 1930 and newer engines at about 315 CID if you had a single barrel intake. Using a 1 ->2 adapter, I would not suggest using the largest BB-1 on more than 250 CID 1930 or newer engine.

So what are your options?

(1) use the original Marvel (bet Mark enjoys reading me suggest this ;) )

(2) flip the intake and use a modern DOWNDRAFT 2-barrel

(3) fabricate an entirely new intake to accept TWO single barrel updraft carbs (lie to your buddies that it was a factory performance option ;) )

(4) fabricate a new plenum/adapter to mate one of the expensive 2-barrel updrafts to your Buick intake

My choice, depending on the condition of your Marvel and riser, would be either (1) or (2), probably (2) above.

Buick Marvel two-barrel updraft (no, it isn't a 90 series):

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Marvel_10-1577_1.jpg

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I truly enjoy the the replies I receive in this forum. Not only because I can rely on the fact others are willing to share their valuable knowledge but each reply it is like making a new acquaintance. 

Mark, while I have fought every recommendation to drop in a small block and be done I knew my budget would eventually be the problem.  I have a heat riser but it needs work. I feel to keep, repair and purchase original parts will be more expensive. The review of Jon's entertaining information , (compliment ) did suggest flipping the intake and going downdraft. This was my original thought and did notice a 68 Rochester 2 barrel carb does match up to the manifold quite close. (And I have one) That fits my budget. 

So I guess I will make an adapter plate and rebuild the 2 barrel. 

I'll keep in mind Mark's trick to welding two flanges to a tube and Jon, thanks for verifying the very few options. I was hoping for the magic late model 500 CFM one barrel UPDRAFT with matching bolt patterns but obviously doesn't exist. 

Thanks

Tony

Edited by CTCV
omitted updraft (see edit history)

I flipped the intake on my '26 and used the carb from a 60's ford truck. Had to make an adapter plate to square up the carb. It starts and runs  great so that why I would never go back to the updraft. It's reliable, automatic choke, electric fuel pump the best of both worlds and I know it's not original but I have more fun driving it than showing it.  

DSC05852.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CTCV said:

I

I'll keep in mind Mark's trick to welding two flanges to a tube and Jon, thanks for verifying the very few options. I was hoping for the magic late model 500 CFM one barrel UPDRAFT with matching bolt patterns but obviously doesn't exist. 

Thanks

Tony

Tony - there are a number of updraft one barrel carbs that would run the engine IF YOU HAD A SINGLE BARREL INTAKE! (Although the afore-mentioned pot of gold might come into play!)

The issue is making the large single barrel work with the two barrel manifold. By the time you fabricate a plenum (DEFINATELY NOT AN ADAPTER) of sufficient volume for the conversion, I think the carb would be so low as to not fit in the existing space.

Jon

On Thursday, January 03, 2019 at 1:03 PM, carbking said:

Tony - there are a number of updraft one barrel carbs that would run the engine IF YOU HAD A SINGLE BARREL INTAKE! (Although the afore-mentioned pot of gold might come into play!)

The issue is making the large single barrel work with the two barrel manifold. By the time you fabricate a plenum (DEFINATELY NOT AN ADAPTER) of sufficient volume for the conversion, I think the carb would be so low as to not fit in the existing space.

Jon

Sorry Jon I did not mean to say one barrel. You are right my intake is a two barrel. I have completed the design of the adapter plate and I am making a 3D printer prototype. Once I verify the specs are accurate I will cnc one. If anyone is interested I can always hit the button twice and make an extra.

Tony