Sign in to follow this  
gr8scott

Battery/starting/what else? issue

My 89 Coupe gets little use. Couple of times, probably less than 200 miles total a month. (Current odo is at  81K). A week ago I took it for a short (10-15 mile)  spin. It started fine, ran fine. The next day, nothing.  Not even instrument lights, other than the current odo lighting up. Battery is less than 18 months old and still well within warranty. My limited mechanical acumen told me that maybe through a combination of infrequent use and short trips the battery had run out of charge and didn't get enough of a chance to recharge, so I put it on an overnight trickle charge, but the next morning it was the same thing. Turning the ignition key produced a sound somewhat briefer and quieter than a gnat passing gas, and that's it.  I then pulled the battery and checked all the connections I could reasonable reach or see. I found one a bit wobbly and although it took all morning to remove, clean and reconnect (see illustration of reasons below),  I reconnected the battery, but nothing had changed.  I took the battery out and took it down to O'Reilly's where I bought it. They put it on the charger and said an hour later that I was good to go.  But the person I left it with was not the same who gave me the later report. The first one had attached a note to the battery that it had a dead cell. The second guy said he checked it and everything was OK.  It was close to closing time on New Years eve, so that could have been a just-get-this-guy-out-of-here type of answer.  Long story short (probably too late for that) after installing the battery it's still giving me the silent treatment. Tomorrow I'm taking it to a different O'Reilly's  for a second opinion on its condition, but in the meanwhile I ask here what other possibilities are lurking in the dark.

connector.jpg

The results from the other O'Reilly store was totally different. They simply said the battery had a dead cell, and replaced it free of charge under  the warranty. The engine cranked strong at the turn of the key.  Life is good🙂

• Thanks 1