Citroen Cord? New to me...

zipdang

A member of our region wrote a story for our newsletter on a car person he had met in the early 70s with 4 Cords and a lot of other interesting cars. The fellow owned Willson’s TV in the West Palm Beach area, a long time family business. He only referred to the fellow as Mr Wilson. Below is the interesting part of the story to this thread.

A Sportsman, a Phaeton, a Beverly, and a Westchester. These were all the 1936 or ‘37 Gordon Behring designed coffin nose models. Half of them were running or roadworthy and the other two were in the middle of servicing or paint work. His Sportsman was a light yellow and in the fifties paced the race at Sebring one year. It was stunning.The two sedans, Beverly and Westchester were nice but the star of the show was this grey Phaeton with special modifications made in France. It seems E.L. Cord sent this car to Citroen of France and the French engineers had many ideas about the car. It was still front wheel drive but now the Citroen system. It lost the supercharger in place of multiple French carburetors. It was a little lower and wider and the frame had been modified in several areas. And all of these changes were painted a frog green to show what had been done. The French did this. I saw green changes all over the car. Brakes, suspension, you name it. And the surprising thing was it was HERE. 

Maybe one of the missing Cords?

• 3 weeks later...

I am a newbie from England.

I have been researching these cars for some time. The convertible was a 1936 Sportsman which was later fitted with a supercharged Cord engine. The Citroen engineers removed the supercharger and fitted two Zenith carbs. They mad several mechanical changes and the only visible sign of alteration was the Citroen wheels and Michelin tyres.

I have a copy of a letter from the guy who bought it from Citroen (very unusual to be able to buy an experimental) called Claude Maurel. He sold it to an American gentleman from Ohio and I have a photo of it in 1991. I herad it was still on the road in 1999.

I would love to see what it looks like today and where it is!

The other Cord was a 4-door sedan but that "disappeared" in 1940 - probably requisitioned by the German military or bombed by the Allies!

Any info on both of these cars would be appreciated! 

Conversion of Cords to Citroen drive was a specialty of a garage in France, which performed the switch on Cords an unknown number of times.  Somewhere in the ACD Newsletters from years back there is mention of this.
I recall seeing a converted Cord at a meet years past, possibly the one West mentioned.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:38 AM, West Peterson said:

If there was only one phaeton, it must be the one n Dayton.