cadillac transmission repair

larry hatfield

I have a 1992 cadillac coupe deville, 95K mi., with 4T60 transmission.  It won't shift automatically, must shift manually. Does not have 1st gear or overdrive.  Runs strong in 2nd and 3rd, no slippage. Clutches and torque converter seem good.  Could it be an electrical issue or mechanical? Transmission shop guys just say through $2500 to $4000 at me and we'll fix it with no explanation of what their fixing.

Does not have 1st gear or overdrive.  Runs strong in 2nd and 3rd, no slippage. Clutches and torque converter seem good.  Could it be an electrical issue or mechanical?

Could be electrical, mechanical, out of fluid, could be anything, look for a tranny shop where the owner will talk with you, someone you can trust.

Ditto!

Could be both.... I just had the transmission repaired on an 89 Buick. A big part of the problem was electrical but still did some mechanical work on a partial rebuild.  My local mechanic who I trust fixed the electrical,  but he told me the only way to diagnose the mechanical was to open it up. That explains the $2.5k to $4k shop response. My mechanic sent my transmission to a local shop. Counting both electrical and mechanical it cost only $1600. So, talk to someone you trust locally and shop around....

Edited by Phillip Cole
Addition (see edit history)
  • Like 1

One, these things are a pain in the tuccas (tucas?) to work on, so the price weeds out the people who aren't serious.  Second, the most common failure mode in these early electronic transmissions (FYI, that's a 4T60E, and the "E" part is important) is the shift solenoids.  These solenoids control shifting from ECU command, rather than the hydraulic logic used on older automatics.  These early solenoids frequently split their housings, causing shift failure.  Usually when this happens, the trans locks itself in second gear.  The solenoids are easy to replace once you drop the pan.  Any signs of metallic particles or burned fluid and it's a total trans rebuild in that $2500-$4000 range. Sorry.

larry hatfield,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I would echo the suggestion that you find another local transmission shop where the owner will discuss a bit more of the details of his diagnosis and suggested repairs. You may want to contact a local AACA Chapter or Region in your area. The folks in your local AACA club would probably be able to suggest a good local shop with a good track record of working on older cars. In my area, we have a shop that I routinely suggest to other club members due to their track record on older cars as well as modern cars, as well as their good pricing. 

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Matt- does this gentleman know anything about Slim Jim HydraMatics? Those of us cursed with those things are always looking for people who understand them and ain't a-skeered of 'em!

Last year the answer would have been yes. Unfortunately, his guy who was the Slim Jim HydraMatic expert was killed in a car crash last year. He has not been able to find anybody else with that kind of experience to replace him.