56 Buick

Questions re 1955 1956 generator

Hi all

I have some questions regarding generators that someone may be able to answer.

As i understand it, generators usually have the model number stamped on a small metal plate attached to the outer casing but if that plate is not there then is the model number ever stamped directly onto the casing itself?

Would a 55 Roadmaster generator be a 30 amp unit or 35 amp unit?

Can someone also please explain what 'CW', which I presume is 'clockwise' means in a generator designation?

And would there likely be any issue in using a 1955 Roadmaster generator in a 1956 Century?

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Drew

I don’t have the specs in front of me, but if the Roady is 35A and the Century is 30A, I would just leave the Century regulator limited at 30A and call it good. 

9 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

9 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

Would a 55 Roadmaster generator be a 30 amp unit or 35 amp unit?

Book says all 55's were 30 amp..............................Bob

• Thanks 1

I think any 55 Buick equipped with AC has the 35 amp generator.  I am not sure about 56 Buicks. 

All generator internals are the same as I was told by a generator repair man that still uses a growler. The only difference is the voltage regulator and pulley size/type. The voltage regulator is also a amperage regulator by function and that's why it's crucial that it is tuned correctly per the shop manual. 

When my generator went out, I bought restored 56 Chev generator off ebay with the front and rear sealed type bearings instead of the bushing end. To my surprise it had the same pulley so I didn't need to swap it, but I've been using it ever since and it has been working flawless. Note the guts of the voltage regulator are different between amp ratings. The 35 amp regulator is cheaper at NAPA, however the higher you go in amps the more likely you are to throw solder at the commutator end, which is very common when using junkyard generators.