65 Riv, Playing around with wheels

crowvet

I had to share this with you all. I was going through old posts last night when I found a old thread with a 65 with beauty rings on the wheels. It looked pretty cool, so today I noticed my wheels had a little pitting ect on them, not to bad but could be better. I looked over at my 67 Corvette and pulled the beauty rings off of it. OMG they are such a perfect fit, that you almost can't tell they are not part of the wheel. Fits right up to the seam of the center of the wheel. Gives them a deeper look, and the reflection of the spokes in them is pretty cool. If any one wants to do this, you need the rings for a 67 Corvette 7 inch wide 15 inch wheel. I can post the link to ebay here if anyone likes the look. First two pictures before, second two after

P1070467.JPG

P1070468.JPG

P1070478.JPG

Edited by crowvet
added (see edit history)

Looks fantastic ,,, I bought some beauty rings to try on my wheels but didn’t like the fit or lack of a flat lip on the outside edge of them ,,, yours look like they have that flat edge !! Could you get a few more crisp shots close up at a few angles AND post the eBay link ,,, 

How did the trim rings “bite” into the chrome of the road wheels ? Do you feel they will stay on at speed and around corners???  It’s a great solution for sub par road wheels , which is what I own 😬 ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pyntre said:

Looks fantastic ,,, I bought some beauty rings to try on my wheels but didn’t like the fit or lack of a flat lip on the outside edge of them ,,, yours look like they have that flat edge !! Could you get a few more crisp shots close up at a few angles AND post the eBay link ,,, 

How did the trim rings “bite” into the chrome of the road wheels ? Do you feel they will stay on at speed and around corners???  It’s a great solution for sub par road wheels , which is what I own 😬 ...

They fit real tight, no chance of them coming off. They do have the lip, I cannot believe how good they fit. Looks like new wheels.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pc-Set-Chevy-GM-15X7-Rally-15-Steel-Wheel-2-1-2-Deep-Outer-Beauty-Trim-Rings/390457708341?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D8d8c2d0e164a4231ad95bdc1dfde6ae4%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D390457708341%26itm%3D390457708341&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Edited by crowvet (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, pyntre said:

The eBay link is / are the same ones you have ??? 

Sign me up !!! 

Thanks for posting the pics !!! 

Get a few outside in the sun when / if you can ... 👍👍👍

The ones off my Corvette I bought on ebay 12 years ago. I can't find the receipt. But I am about 90% sure these were it. I am reordering new ones for the Vette. I will check my receipt drawer on the Corvette and try to find a paper copy to be 100% sure and let you know.

OK Daryl: I have the twin to your 65 Riv. Gold with a standard interior, power windows and a/c.  Trim rings on the wheels?  Hey, why not? It's a novel idea that doesn't chop up or molest anything.  Oh, I also have had several C-2 Corvettes but that ship has sailed for me.  Mitch

1 hour ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Daryl: I have the twin to your 65 Riv. Gold with a standard interior, power windows and a/c.  Trim rings on the wheels?  Hey, why not? It's a novel idea that doesn't chop up or molest anything.  Oh, I also have had several C-2 Corvettes but that ship has sailed for me.  Mitch

Well Mitch you have one up'd me then, as my Riv doesn't even have A/C. The only options I know it has is the remote mirror and dealer added air shocks. Other than that it is a pretty plain car. I would love to see a picture of yours. My C2 has been finished for 12 years. No more to do to it. I needed something that was more usable that I didn't worry about so much. The Riv fills the bill

• Like 1

I ordered a set of these "beauty rims" and put them today one of my " beater 66" which had a little rust in the rims of the road wheel . Fit almost perfectly and completely covered the mild rust . I like them on this particular car but the purists will undoubtedly object . To each his own 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kreed said:

I ordered a set of these "beauty rims" and put them today one of my " beater 66" which had a little rust in the rims of the road wheel . Fit almost perfectly and completely covered the mild rust . I like them on this particular car but the purists will undoubtedly object . To each his own 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, kreed said:

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks good, I ordered another set to put on my Riviera, so I could put the ones I tried back on my Vette. The new ones I got, are OK, but the chrome and quality of the ones I bought back around 2007 Are way superior. The new ones I bought were a little hard to put on. I ended up laying a towel down and with a hammer bending in slightly every other gripping finger of the ring. Then they installed a little easier. All in all I am satisfied, but boy are the ones on the Corvette better.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:01 PM, crowvet said:

I had to share this with you all. I was going through old posts last night when I found a old thread with a 65 with beauty rings on the wheels. It looked pretty cool, so today I noticed my wheels had a little pitting ect on them, not to bad but could be better. I looked over at my 67 Corvette and pulled the beauty rings off of it. OMG they are such a perfect fit, that you almost can't tell they are not part of the wheel. Fits right up to the seam of the center of the wheel. Gives them a deeper look, and the reflection of the spokes in them is pretty cool. If any one wants to do this, you need the rings for a 67 Corvette 7 inch wide 15 inch wheel. I can post the link to ebay here if anyone likes the look. First two pictures before, second two after

P1070467.JPG

P1070468.JPG

P1070478.JPG

Try these. They are for a 63, but they might look good

514BF882-EC47-4022-A45C-F584465B00D5.jpeg

1867CF06-C888-402E-B728-33F14CC4C6CA.jpeg

8D0E0937-DE88-4A73-A2EC-F3949C72B781.jpeg

9E697A44-76E5-4449-8A98-1DE762DDA1DA.jpeg

50 minutes ago, msdminc said:

Mike, they will look great on your 68.  They are a very good tire - good looking and very comfortable.IMG_0387.thumb.JPG.0084b6db5addf5746a556e0b083eb57a.JPGThis is what they look like on a 65.

Hi Gordon - yest those Diamondback triple-white's look great on your '65!

Mind me asking what size they are?  Which tire are they based upon?  What does it say on the sidewall?

Last, vital question - how much did they cost?

Thanks,

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, crowvet said:

Those look good, are they hub caps on the steel wheels? I have the original wheels for my car as well as the hub caps. But you are right Turbinator... those might look good

These wheel covers will fit your '65 wheels if the wheels have four holes outside the lug nut holes so the cover can be bolted on.  It's a two piece cover.  The cast aluminum part bolts to the wheel.  The stainless knock-off snaps into the large center hole (access to lug nuts via this hole) in the aluminum cover.  But if you're wanting to keep you '65 "all '65" these covers were only available on the 63 and 64 year models.  

Here's a picture of the cast part only mounted on a wheel.  Stainless knock off to be added after the wheel w/  cover is bolted to the brake drum.

5516773E-290D-4D6C-9645-B0343FCA1972.jpeg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

These wheel covers will fit your '65 wheels if the wheels have four holes outside the lug nut holes so the cover can be bolted on.  It's a two piece cover.  The cast aluminum part bolts to the wheel.  The stainless knock-off snaps into the large center hole (access to lug nuts via this hole) in the aluminum cover.  But if you're wanting to keep you '65 "all '65" these covers were only available on the 63 and 64 year models.  

Here's a picture of the cast part only mounted on a wheel.  Stainless knock off to be added after the wheel w/  cover is bolted to the brake drum.

5516773E-290D-4D6C-9645-B0343FCA1972.jpeg

Thanks for the info Ed, I have seen that style of hub cap on other older vehicles, but don't believe I have ever seen that one before. I have however seen the Buick wheels with the extra holes. I will need to check mine out. Thanks for the info and for always helping out.

• 1 year later...