What year Chevrolet SS Hubcaps 65 or 66?

mercman from oz

In my collection, I have two similar Chevrolet SS Hubcaps, that are slightly different. I have looked at the original Hollanders Hubcap Guide, and they make no distinction between the two, simply listing them as 1965-1966 Chevrolet SS.

I have also checked the Web Site - Hubcaps.com, and once again, they list one hubcap for both years. I thought that I would see what these hubcaps are listed for sale on eBay, and once again, they are listed as 1965 and 1966, plus other years, which is not correct.

Now, when you take a closer look at this pair that is on eBay (actually being sold as a set of 4, but I only show 2 for this Post) you can see that they are different.

The centre on one is deeper than the other one, meaning that when they were released, one was original for the 1965 Chevrolet SS, and it was revised slight for the 1966 model.

Getting back yo the various sets that are being offered on eBay, if you look closely, many are "mixed" sets, which means that they are not a set at all.

Back in 2013, I attended a car show at Wendover, Nevada and saw this beautiful 1966 Chevrolet Impala SS Convertible, and it had one of each style on the drivers side, and the owner was shocked when I pointed out that they were different.

Can anybody out there tel me which is the correct one for 1965 and which is the correct one for 1966?

Thanks for your help in solving this puzzle. I look forward to hearing what people have to say on this subject.

Regards Mercman from Oz <><

What year Chev Hubcaps.JPG

DSC_0448.JPG

What really stands out to me is not the depth of the center (as it is a photo and not in person) but one has SS in red and the other has the Chevy Bowtie in silver!

Who has a P&A xx  that covers 65/66 fullsize Chevrolets?  (P&A is the Parts and Accessories catalog used by the dealer, P&A 30 covers Corvairs and has a good page of wheel covers). Do note that if the publication date of the P&A is 10 years later, some parts have already been superceeded or combined into one part number to cover what was originally multiple parts.

One could also look at the 65 and 66 advertising material, but many times those are artists renderings before the model cam out, so changes happen.

Hi guys, I realise that the Centre Plastic is different on one, as it does not have the SS Centre. I located this picture on eBay, and it was perfect to show the different depths of the centres.

Unfortunately, my hubcaps are all packed away and this was the easiest way to get a picture illustrating these differences.

However, that is not the issue. The issue is that the dished section on one is much deeper than the other.

I understand that this style of Spinner Hubcaps was used in our Chevrolets, like the Chevelle etc. however, they were fitted to the Impala SS models.

In the above picture of the 1966 Chevrolet Impala SS, as mentioned, it had one of each style, both with SS centres.

Attached is a picture of the various full-size Chevrolet Hubcaps in my personal collection.

You will notice that both of mine have the SS Plastic Centres.

Also attached is the Listing from the original Hollanders, plus the current listing by Hubcaps.com.

In both case, they only list one hubcap for both years, when in actual fact, there are two.

Because of this difference, I believe that they represent two different years, 1965 and 1966. I need someone to tell me which one is 1965 and which one is 1966.

By the way, I live in Australia and have had to purchase these hubcaps on eBay from the USA, a very expensive hobby.

Can anyone help me with a definite answer?

Regards Mercman from Oz <><

DSCN6920.JPG

65-66 Chev Spinner Hubcaps.JPG

Hubcaps.com 65-66 Chev.JPG

Thanks to Mark I, I now have the answer that I was looking for. It seems that both Hollanders made the original mistake by listing the "same" hubcap for both years, and Hubcaps.com carried on the error.

This is not the first time that I have found errors in Hollanders Hubcap Identification Book.

In the Link that Mark I referred me to, it says:-  The first pic is a 65 SS wheel cover. Notice the two steps underneath where the spinner is and the depth of the black recess under the spinner part. The second pic is a 66 SS wheel cover. There is only one step underneath the spinner and the depth of the black part is shallower.

Now, I can see you owners of 1965 and 1966 Chevrolets checking the Spinner Hubcaps fitted to your cars.

This makes our hobby interesting.

Thanks for those people who responded to my question.

I think that we have all learnt something today.

Regards Mercman from OZ <><

1965 SS.JPG

1966 SS.JPG

Good information.

I do now see the dish difference. 👍

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2021 at 4:02 PM, Joseph demuro said:

Another theory I have is the deeper center dish is for the front since the axles is longer and sticks out of the rim and the shallower center dish is for the rear since the axle is shorter and doesn’t stick out of the rim at all.

DE8C0C25-894B-4095-9AB6-B55B71004549.jpeg

hate to bust your theory bubble but it has nothing to do with it a set was a set not 2 pair