Old car for sale

On fl. Space coast Craigslist today someone is advertising "old car for sale" he has no idea what kind,year or what to ask. I passed on this forum website to him it looks to me like a 30s British limo of some type with a divider window and RHD. nv7tf-6783110973@sale.craigslist.org. Just curious also as to what it is. Greg.

21 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Well it's an automatic, we know that much. transmission: automatic 

Why would you mistakenly think it has an automatic transmission??

1.   it has both the gearshift lever and emergency brake lever on the car right - to the right of the driver.

2.  It has a clutch (not lurch per prior typo) pedal and a brake pedal.

3.  It appears to have been built before automatic transmissions were available.

4.   Even our former 1912 Oakland - AN AMERICAN CAR - with right-hand drive had pedals and levers different from what you might imagine.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Well it's an automatic, we know that much. transmission: automatic 

no car in the 1920s had automatic transmission, and rolls royce didn't have an automatic transmission option until 1952, when they started using GM's dual range hydra-matic drive transmission, and they didn't stop using that transmission until 1967, when GM made them switch to the turbo hydramatic 400 transmission.

How would you not know it is a Rolls Royce ?  AKA: It will say RR and Rolls-Royce all over it (radiator shell, wheel hubs, possibly center bumper bolts, engine, firewall, TITLE, and ...).  And, it should be worth about 10K or perhaps a little more.  And, they are not easy and parts are far from cheap.   Also, the cylinder heads occasionally have issues - write a big check.    It is a 20/25 series car.  Also, very pretty woodwork in this one and interior looks like it can be cleaned up and mostly preserved. 

The likely situation here is someone bought a house from an estate with lots of junk left behind. Either heirs did not want to clear out the house, or there were no heirs. So the house sold junk and all. This old car is just part of the junk like the scrap wood and the red plastic milk crate. It needs to be cleared out. It might be interesting to know who the original owner was.

2 hours ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Looks like a 1931 Brewster bodied Rolls 

It is close to if not a "D" back sedan - most likely Park Ward or something like that - an all English car (fairly generic other than pretty woodwork and decent enough interior (interestingly most had leather in front and rear - somewhat unusual to see one with all cloth in the back).

Actually at the time leather in front for the chauffeur and fabric in the rear for the passengers was pretty universal as leather was considered utilitarian and fabric was for luxury. Most luxury cars were upholstered this way.  Today we think of leather as the height of luxury but it used to be the other way around. Chauffeurs compartments were always leather 

8 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

It is close to if not a "D" back sedan - most likely Park Ward or something like that - an all English car (fairly generic other than pretty woodwork and decent enough interior (interestingly most had leather in front and rear - somewhat unusual to see one with all cloth in the back).

10 minutes ago, Lawrence Helfand said:

Actually at the time leather in front for the chauffeur and fabric in the rear for the passengers was pretty universal as leather was considered utilitarian and fabric was for luxury. Most luxury cars were upholstered this way.  Today we think of leather as the height of luxury but it used to be the other way around. Chauffeurs compartments were always leather 

English cars tend to be a little different mentality - I generally see 2 leather (at least as to seating) for every one cloth.   Amazing the number too with original leather. 

Any way about it, a 20/25 is a very nice car - not really fast (50mph generally), but beautifully built, very elegant, and very serviceable.  

I was lucky with the two 25/30 cars that no new cylindar head was needed, but I keep seeing a lot on 20/25's with new heads, so must be an issue to some degree.  A Phantom (PI) is a whole other ballgame - an aluminum head for a PI Springfield is generally around a 30K to 40K proposition and there is just nothing you can do other than replace - and not sure they are currently available (the problems are referenced in the first Rolls Royce Owners Club publication from like 1954 and a reason why the Club was founded). 

8 hours ago, suchan said:

The perfect garage-filler! If I was on the other coast..... What is a "lurch" pedal? Is there a gas pedal somewhere?

Corrected now - maybe autocorrect got me again - now says “clutch pedal”