Dosmo

TV show on Motor Trend/Velocity Channel - Full Custom Garage

I've seen a few episodes of Full Custom Garage on the former Velocity Channel, now Motor Trend.  I have to say, I think that this may turn out to be the one that I like the most - or, to put it another way, the one that bothers me the least.

Ian Roussel builds projects taking materials from the scrap heap.  In one episode, he took a pretty ratty looking 48 Packard 4 door sedan, chopped the top, and it actually came out to be a pretty slick looking ride.  You get to see how this guy thinks, how he envisions things.  Sometimes, the process seems to be somewhat organic, in that he doesn't necessarily arrive at the next step until he finishes the current one.

I like that there is no drama, no bleeped language, and there never seems to be a ton of money spent on anything he works on.  It is mostly just Roussel working by himself, with an occasional helper who drops by.  A lot of the material he works with seems to come out of stuff people have piled up around their homes or their shops.  One negative is that I haven't seen many, if any, of the projects on the show that I think would be of considerable interest to many on this forum.  A 1964 Falcon Ranchero, 1962 Falcon Van, etc.  One of my favorites was a 1965 Riviera.

I would not suggest that it is the greatest reality TV show ever, but it is far from the worst.  I'm learning to be more accepting of some of these shows, as the content on many other TV shows continues to devolve.  Watching the worst reality TV show about cars is still preferable to watching a stellar episode of "Teachers".

I was curious to see if anyone else has seen the show and what their thoughts are. 

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I've watched his show, and he comes across as a nice guy that turns out a product his customers are pleased with. If I had the funds I'd have a project in Salt Lake City with Dave Kendig , his fit and finish takes about two years, and is equal to a Pebble Beach restoration, I've seen both, but it isn't a fair shop comparison. Bob 

• Like 1

Those are the reasons I like Iron Resurrection.  Well done customs don’t offend me, and those guys appear to be as down to earth as it gets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 39BuickEight said:

Those are the reasons I like Iron Resurrection.  Well done customs don’t offend me, and those guys appear to be as down to earth as it gets.

Totally agree, I'd give them a car to do as well if I had the finds, skilled craftsmen having fun while turning out a quality product. Bob 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dosmo said:

I was curious to see if anyone else has seen the show and what their thoughts are. 

Dosmo,

Yes, I do like Full Custom Garage for the same reasons you do.  Ian is a skilled craftsman & has a good eye for design.  I too watch Kendig & Iron Resurrection, but those shows are more about a business with managed group accomplishments rather than one guy doing it all.  I relate more to a one man show since I do not hire & pay multiple craftsmen to do most of the work on my cars.

• Like 1

Haven't seen this one yet.  Thanks for the recommendation!