1922 Oil pan removal

Mark Kikta

Mark, 

Kevin Roner sent me a piece of screen which was exactly what I needed.  Larry DiBarry told me to use 50/50 solder and the solder flowed well.  I bought this big roll off ebay  (the smallest roll I could find).  I can put a piece of this solder in an envelope to you if you need it.      Hugh

IMG_6251.thumb.JPG.cbc3eae38e3598d0fea2acbf1b3c93c4.JPG

Mark, 

The mesh I have is made from .005 brass wire.  It is 32 x38 wires per inch.  The mesh size opening looks like .021 x .021.  Strange that I can't seem to find a mesh like this.  I think what you have found would work well.   Hugh   

Question on the stuck engine.  Does the crankshaft rock at all? even just a tiny bit?  The amount of wiggle can help determine what is seized. I don't know what drives your camshaft, but the mid 20's and up Buick used a fibre timing gear and if the cam shaft, lifters or a valve are stuck, often the cam gear dies in the process of freeing up the engine.

After checking to ensure my water pump was free, I tried to rotate the crank,  It was difficult but I did turn it maybe 1/8 of a turn and I believe the camehaft turned just a bit, maybe 1/8 of an inch.  It seemed to get stiffer so I stopped.  Valves and rockers are free.  After disconnecting the rod end cap on #1 cylinder, I was able to move the piston 1/4 inch or more with a couple light taps using a piece of wood and hammer. I’m considering trying to move each cylinder just a bit. I’ve been soaking lifters and pistons now for a month or more.

mark

6 hours ago, Mark Kikta said:

After checking to ensure my water pump was free, I tried to rotate the crank,  It was difficult but I did turn it maybe 1/8 of a turn and I believe the camehaft turned just a bit, maybe 1/8 of an inch.  It seemed to get stiffer so I stopped.  Valves and rockers are free.  After disconnecting the rod end cap on #1 cylinder, I was able to move the piston 1/4 inch or more with a couple light taps using a piece of wood and hammer. I’m considering trying to move each cylinder just a bit. I’ve been soaking lifters and pistons now for a month or more.

mark

Don't know why the lifters should be stuck, just take them out and look at them. They are not much harder to take out than spark plugs. I really doubt they are stuck!

• 2 weeks later...