Factory correct `63 seat belts

1965rivgs

The 64 had a first year, one year only belt that had a Buick tri-shield stamped into the chrome latch.  Here'are some pictures of the '64 belts that I have.  There are two manufacturers of the 64 belts.  Buick must have put out something saying what they wanted but each of the belts is different and there's nothing interchangeable between them.  Sorry about the quality of some of the pictures, but I had to use a flash and the chrome reflects it738399081_1964Rivieraseatbeltbuckle.thumb.JPG.9bbef57dffdaef1f7cf008ca8f4bdb49.JPG.

20150303_163526.thumb.jpg.dc78b4fc029dcc3c61e3f112d4f0f108.jpg

20150303_164038.thumb.jpg.36344c27866eb2525fee52aa9ef0e93f.jpg100_4094.thumb.JPG.2336e72d4016d0439260a2c99d3400e5.JPG100_4093.thumb.JPG.97a16aa7ef100570a03f36a7ac1ca55b.JPG

19 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

And front seat belts were still optional until what... ‘66?

I have one ‘65 that had them, the other did not.

Copied and pasted from wikipedia.

In the United States, seat belt legislation varies by state. The state of Wisconsin introduced legislation in 1961 requiring seat belts to be fitted to the front outboard seat positions of cars.[9] Seat belts have been mandatory equipment since the 1968 model year per Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208.

15 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

And front seat belts were still optional until what... ‘66?

I have one ‘65 that had them, the other did not.

Seat belts were legislated and became standard equipment for front seat passengers starting in calender year 1964. If my recall is correct this legislation was on a federal level. If you do a search on the subject here on the forum a link to the actual legislation has been previously posted.

There was also subsequent legislation which required seat belts for all seating positions. Again, if my recall is correct, just a couple of years later and a link to that legislation has been posted in the past on this forum.

If you have a `65 which never had front seat belts installed at the factory this would have been a seat belt delete option and there should be a character on the Fisher Body plate to indicate so. This is a rarely seen option but I have documented a handful over the years... and currently own a very original seat belt delete `65 Buick.

Tom

Good day,

For what it's worth, the front seat belts in my '64 (built- 04D, originally sold in Edmonton, Canada) have the Fisher Body logo "sticker-applied". The rear belts have a straight chrome finish. No manufacturers tags on any belts. The body plate indicates 5Z so I would assume original belts. (??)

Photo taken in poor light, trim *621...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, telriv said:

I know when I got my Riv. built 12D, 4th. week Dec. '63 my Riv. had belts installed in the front only. There are mountings points in the rear also if you wanted to add belts.

If anyone wants it, I scanned a service bulletin that shows where the dimples are located in the rear for mounting rear seat belts.

1 hour ago, telriv said:

I know when I got my Riv. built 12D, 4th. week Dec. '63 my Riv. had belts installed in the front only. There are mountings points in the rear also if you wanted to add belts.

Hi Tom,

Can you post a pic of your buckle, if original?

Tom Mooney

1 hour ago, MikeJS said:

Good day,

For what it's worth, the front seat belts in my '64 (built- 04D, originally sold in Edmonton, Canada) have the Fisher Body logo "sticker-applied". The rear belts have a straight chrome finish. No manufacturers tags on any belts. The body plate indicates 5Z so I would assume original belts. (??)

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

Hi Mike,

Can you post a pic of the cloth tag on the belts? Thanks,

Tom

1 hour ago, MikeJS said:

Tom, best I can get on short notice. 

Later, 

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the pic! I think I can make out a "64" in stamped ink but what is the character after "64"? Possible to get another pic? Maybe of another belt? Thanks again, Happy New Year!

Tom M

19 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

but what is the character after "64"?

Tom, good day...

Tough to tell, it does look like a 64 followed by what appears to be a 2.

The markings on the tag on the other front belt is illegible.

Hope this helps.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

Here's the picture to which I referred earlier.  Sorry about the delay.  My cast is a little preventative as to where I can go.  Had to negotiate the steps to get to the computer which has my older pictures on it.  It's actually it's in one of my manuals, not on a service bulletin.  Looks like from the '63 from the illustration of the buckles.  I found the dimples in my '64 and they're pretty obvious once you're in the right area.  I never would have looked on the wheel well for the outside holes.

1876023415_Seatbeltholelocation.thumb.JPG.b0c544a6929d496bef30edcbc062eaab.JPG

I tack welded these to the underside of the body.  

Mounting Plate #102 ( #10154 )

https://www.wescoperformance.com/mountingplate1.html

Then used these bolts.  Some of the Corvette / Chevelle / Camaro repo shops sell these in cad or chrome

Shoulder Bolt

https://www.wescoperformance.com/shoulderbolt1.html

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 12/31/2018 at 2:59 PM, MikeJS said:

exactly like my 64 my dad and I bought new in may of 64.  I will never forget the fisher body symbol as our Riviera was the first car we ever had with seatbelts.  As most of you (this) old guy(s) know, 1964 was the first year that front seat belts were required in all USA sold cars

Good day,

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

One would think that all four should be the same unless a couple of sets have been replaced

Ed, good day.

Ya, seems odd. Again, bought the Riv' in 1980, equipped as is, and I don't have much history of its first 16 years. But they are different, and different suppliers  although as best as I can tell, the weave and colour of the belts match, (sans dirt and deterioration.... Arrgh...)

Outta curiosity, would the 5Z trim code typically come with all four belts or only the front two? If the latter, maybe these rear belts were dealer added to meet Canadian legislation at the time. (??) Can't imagine why either set woulda been replaced, but who knows...

Anyway, for what they're worth, a couple photos attached.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, dr914 said:

1964 was the first year that front seat belts were required in all USA sold cars

I'm trying to google some info on Canada/Alberta legislation regarding seat belts and when they implemented. Slim pickings so far, but I did find this for the US... I suspect it would indeed have mattered what state the car was originally sold, but for what it's worth... (source: hagerty.com)

"

By the early ‘60s, seat belt laws were passed in several states. In 1962, automakers voluntarily added anchors for at least two front-seat lap belts to all cars.

President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Highway Safety Act of 1966 was a landmark piece of federal legislation that gave Washington sweeping powers over car design. The act specified mandatory safety standards for 1968 models. In addition, the government “convinced” Detroit to add six standard safety features to all 1966 domestic cars that included seat belts. Starting in January 1968, lap-belt anchorages for each front and rear seating position and upper torso-belt anchorages at each forward facing outboard seating position were required"

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

41 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Ed, good day.

Ya, seems odd. Again, bought the Riv' in 1980, equipped as is, and I don't have much history of its first 16 years. But they are different, and different suppliers  although as best as I can tell, the weave and colour of the belts match, (sans dirt and deterioration.... Arrgh...)

Outta curiosity, would the 5Z trim code typically come with all four belts or only the front two? If the latter, maybe these rear belts were dealer added to meet Canadian legislation at the time. (??) Can't imagine why either set woulda been replaced, but who knows...

Anyway, for what they're worth, a couple photos attached.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think the date tag on the one belt is probably an accurate way to ID which may be original.  Do the front belts have a similar tag?

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Do the front belts have a similar tag?

Ed, I posted the front belt's tag earlier in this thread, as requested by Tom, (a couple posts above the mounting diagram you posted...) No clear date on the front one like the rear, but they have what appears to be a 64 followed by a 2 applied with a sharpie type marker.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----