RockinRiviDad

Holley Sniper EFI on my Nailhead

On 1/2/2020 at 3:44 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

The Q-jet Sniper is only 715cfm’s.

The square bore Sniper is 800cfm’s.

Hmmm, that's odd, given the Q-Jet carb was bigger than the Carter (due to the massive secondaries).  I'm guessing that maybe the Q-Jet Sniper has smaller primary air valves to match the manifold, but same smaller secondaries as the square bore version?  :huh:

Posted (edited)

I would be interested in learning how rated CFM for efi compares to rated CFM for carburetors.

After 60 years of playing with carburetors, the best explanation for carburetor CFM that I have seen was written by Mark Twain!

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

1 hour ago, carbking said:

After 60 years of playing with carburetors, the best explanation for carburetor CFM that I have seen was written by Mark Twain!

Jon

And that is......?

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, RivNut said:

And that is......?

"Figures don't lie, but liars figure".

Quotation attributed to Mark Twain.

CFM

And to take the comment about liars even further, one company making carburetors wanted a 600 CFM for comparison with a competing brand. When engineering informed sales that since the company historically had not made a 600, new components (throttle shafts, throttle plates, venturii, etc.) would all have to be designed and machined, sales said "no problem, just take a 625 add a new id number, and sell it as a 600!

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, carbking said:

And to take the comment about liars even further, one company making carburetors wanted a 600 CFM for comparison with a competing brand. When engineering informed sales that since the company historically had not made a 600, new components (throttle shafts, throttle plates, venturii, etc.) would all have to be designed and machined, sales said "no problem, just take a 625 add a new id number, and sell it as a 600!

Yep … companies know that almost nobody has the tools or the inclination to actually measure things.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

In hopes to help keep others from making the same mistakes I am making, I edited my original post. Again, I was so focused on getting my throttle linkage hooked up & simply too excited to be making progress that I forgot to recheck my TPS (throttle position sensor) after fab’ing a bracket to incorporate my kickdown. My kickdown switch was limiting throttle travel to 76% @ WOT. A few days work but finally got it to 92%…I am good with that…92% gives me enough power to smoke my meats!! 🤣