1931 CG Wheel cylinders ?

So I'm beginning my search for replacement wheel cylinders for our new Baby (1931 Chrysler Imperial CG).

I see the "Mopar Direct" and " Bernbaum" sites pop up at the head of the pack, but of course the casting numbers are not shown.

Price is about $300.00 FOR 4, which seems a bit steep.

I know these have a stepped bore, but GEEEZ $75.00 a whack, when my local CARQUEST has some "quite similar" for ten to twenty bucks each.

So my question is, who really makes these and why can't we get them from somebody like Autozone, Rock Auto or NAPA ?

Has anybody really researched up the manufacturing ladder to see where they really come from ?

I'll wait for your collective knowledge to pour into this thread.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)

$75.00 each for the correct ones is a good price.  You could make the less expensive later model ones work but it would cost more in the long run along with the headache.  Also, the later version do not have the same bore sizes as the originals. 

Appreciate the comments, however before I pull the trigger on these $300.00 replacements, I'm scheduled to visit my foundry in California, and they are only a couple of miles from Ron Karp's shop. Ron resleeves wheel cylinders with 304 stainless tubing and he did a fine job on my '40 Buick LTD.

Be fun to visit him again and get his advice.

Still want to know if anyone has chased up the manufacturing ladder and found out who REALLY builds the replacements.

This may take some real detective work !!!

Mike in Colorado

• 2 months later...

O.K. so I'm looking on evilbay at the wheel cylinders from Mopar Direct and they have a split bore.

Per my question to them if they will fit a '31 Imperial, their answer was they will if the retaining bolts are 1.75" on center.

I could measure the rears  and they were 1.75' OC however the fronts appear to be 1.50" OC.

I guess I'll just have to tear them down to get an accurate measurement, UNLESS...........

Some one with a '31-'32 Imperial has been down this road and would care to share their brake rebuilding experience here, for those who follow.

I just don't want to guess and have to send them back IF the Imperials differ from the Chrysler / Dodge cars of that era.

Mike in Colorado

I have a Wagner Brake parts book.  It is large and hard to copy. The top set of rows is for the Master Cylinder. The second set is for the front wheel cylinders. The third set is for the rear wheel cylinders. The assembly numbers look the same for the wheel cylinders for most of the 30-31 Chryslers (FC 1235 and FC 1234). The one difference is the book does not show a split bore for the wheel cylinders. May be incorrect?1465323367_brakeparts.thumb.jpg.abd331774d7630b8b7f680bb15d90912.jpg

This chart is sourced from Chrysler Service Bulletin 575-CH dated Nov 15, 1934. 

Note the step bore wheel cylinders beginning in 1934.

If memory serves me correctly, the shoes were all the same length with step bores.

516417141_BrakeWheelCylinder.thumb.jpg.1e81438686614bc7c7d1b284e4053247.jpg

Per the "hwellens" chart, it looks like both the CD and CG in 1931 used the FC-1234 and Fc- 1235 cylinders, so I think I'll just hop on down to my local Mopar dealer and watch the parts guy tap on his computer to order a set.

Good luck with that plan...........

Mike in Colorado