Mark Gregory

Delco Remy T-491 Synchronizing Tool

Does anyone know someone who might sell an original or reproduction of this ? This was used on the 1931 Reo Royale  Chrome / Nickel  8 cylinder 358 cubic inch 125 HP Motor .

image.thumb.png.608029eddf07f3c775c3ee79ff8686fe.png

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

I hate when I’m looking for something on the internet and can only find a want ad...

Did you have any luck? 

I too could use one of these tools, it’s listed in the Pierce Arrow tune-up charts as a Delco Remy synchronization tool #1838182 for type 660 distributors. I might just try to use a good protractor and cut it down - all I need is 45 degrees measured. I’ll let you know how I make out when I get into this project. Doing a search of the tool number brings up a few PDF’s on how it’s used if you need.

Any luck finding one? I'd like one too.   Everyone wants one but no one has one!  Maybe if someone can locate one it can be borrowed with a security deposit!

On 2/23/2019 at 11:31 AM, Mark Wetherbee said:

I hate when I’m looking for something on the internet and can only find a want ad...

Did you have any luck? 

I too could use one of these tools, it’s listed in the Pierce Arrow tune-up charts as a Delco Remy synchronization tool #1838182 for type 660 distributors. I might just try to use a good protractor and cut it down - all I need is 45 degrees measured. I’ll let you know how I make out when I get into this project. Doing a search of the tool number brings up a few PDF’s on how it’s used if you need.

Yes I made one out of a school clear plastic protractor, made a pointer which fitted into the rotor cap drive slot, unfortunately cant find it to photograph right now. 

The trouble with buying one is you have to find one that fits your distributor. There are different sizes and the one I had didn't fit my car so I sold it to someone with a small Marmon and it fit his so at least it was of use to someone.

There is a thread below in the Buick section on a similar subject along with pictures of two crude homemade tools that have been used. It can be found here;  https://forums.aaca.org/topic/329713-1931-dual-point-timing-advice/?tab=comments#comment-1903278

Carl

Thanks. Yeah, I started that other thread!  Still no answers on why mine is off though.   Distributor shaft seems to be turning "faster" than it should per crank rotation. I will try to fashion a tool though.

I just posted this on the other thread:

I started making one out of an old steel protractor that would mimic the Delco tool but then I bought a book of shop equipment for Pierce, Studebaker, and Rockne cars and found another tool.

Here’s the other tool that was listed in that tool catalog, it’s a Winn Synchrometer... This unit is pretty much what was made available at that time and works well considering, but I have also been given the advice to find someone who has a distributor machine to get it set up right.

My Pierce uses a Delco-Remy 660P distributor, very similar to yours, and once setup is done you go by the points breaking, which turns a light off. Setting the dial to a 90 position on the seated set of points then adjust the movable set to the 45 marks. 

I bought mine on eBay for $100 plus shipping without the instructions and have seen another one selling for the same price with the instructions since I got mine. A bit pricey, but I still think it is working better than the protractor I was working on...

4D3B1786-AD39-4519-83AF-9CE654EB27AA.jpeg

07A8D0B6-77F6-4044-84D2-240341AF989E.jpeg

• Like 1

The other good thing about this kit is that it contains bushings and a height extension so it can be used on several different makes, as noted above...

• Like 1

I acquired  a Weidenhoff years ago which is the same as your Winn. Instead of bending over the car I just pull the distributor out and hook up a ohm meter instead of using the lights. I'ts easier on my back that way.

Mine is set up on a bench top in a vice, perfect height for a bad back!

The light or an ohm meter works the same in my opinion, but I don’t have two ohm meters to use at the same time so I used the light.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 4:28 AM, Mark Gregory said:

an original or reproduction of this ?

I'd like to know how it was attached to the rotor. There was a similar one for 6 cylinder distributor.

Here is another page from the Standard Auto-Electricians manual 1937, giving patterns for "protractors".

image.thumb.png.7e388a2d3ad12bb4601b4adc3ff09024.png