SDLARS

'30 spare tire mount/carrier wanted

I posted this in parts wanted but thought it might help to post it here too. My car came with a trunk mounted in a not very clean way and the spare mounted to the back of the trunk. I'd like to get the original mountings or if that's not possible, some photos of the same. 

I'll mount the trunk when I can devise a decent way to attach it.

Fifty years ago I could have given you one.  Now all I can help you with are some cropped pictures.  Hope these help if you cannot find an original one. By the way 29 and 30 are the same.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Thanks for coming to the rescue again Reid. Looks like it might be a little involved to fabricate satisfactorily. 

I can't tell for sure from the photos, are those arms that are attached to the tank cover stamped steel? 

Here are some close-ups of mounting.  I have not had the cover off but I am sure there is a frame cross member that the bolts go into (threaded) or through (bolted).

Hope this helps.

429A0BD6-3784-4F51-B418-96D20CA1D746.jpeg

38AB7987-B7A2-4108-8B19-605AEA9F2376.jpeg

Rob, it does help.  Gives me something to think about if I can't find an original.  I like your "neck boot" around your filler neck.  Hadn't thought of that.

Yes they are stamped steel.  The rear crossmember  rear crosspiece is threaded for the four mounting bolts of either the rear tire carrier or trunk rack.

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)

While I have not taken the '30 down to the frame it sounds like mounting is the same as '32 tire carrier and trunk rack.  Two pictures of the '32 structure and one picture showing how restoring a car should be fun....

412960379_32frame-1.thumb.jpg.eb7280fcb90f6e78d2fde7ef09699113.jpg138336482_32frame-2.thumb.jpg.52d6ccc5ff1ff8d418be02a24f2dfcef.jpg2106366471_32frame-3.thumb.jpg.4b6d792b7fcd56f7cb4c88053cf68086.jpg

29/30 is very similar but has two large openings rather than three like the 32 and the rear cross of the rear crossmember is wider. I need to get a polaroid scanned and will post a picture on Wednesday.

Happy New Year.

Thanks Reid. I looked at the mount that the car came with that was attached to the back of the trunk and think with a little studying I can come up with a way to attach it so it uses the original mountings. Not ideal but.......

I'd like to use the trunk too but it had some pretty crude mounts. That's down the road a bit.

Very similar Rob. Looks like you may have been getting a little anxious? Bu

Posted (edited)
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, SDLARS said:

I like your "neck boot" around your filler neck.  Hadn't thought of that.

According to the parts book (mine only goes up to 1934)  section 3.008  495874 GROMMET Fuel tank filler to rear splash apron was only used on P8 33-34 2-door touring sedans.  No listing for anything earlier.  Why only 2-door???  Would cost you a point or two at a judge meet, provided the judges knew.😀😀

I have circled the nuts on the left side.

Series 6-30B1.jpg

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)

Liz is a modern lady who added a later grommet so she stays pretty..... ;)

Take that Tinindian... ;)

Too late to say "Bah Humbug" so may I humbly say that Liz is a Lady and a pretty smart pretty Lady.

As an aside as I first mentioned why did the General only start using them on  2-doors.

I do still need one. Do you know if the mounting holes are the same as Pontiac?

The Pontiac dimensions measure 19 1/2" left to right and the bracket holes are 4" on center. How 

On 1/12/2019 at 3:29 PM, kings32 said:

I have a rear mount off a 1930 Oakland  do you still need one ?  Kings32

Tinindian measured his car. The left to right measurement is app. 19 1/2" and the mounting holes are 4" on center. How does that compare to the Oakland? 

I measured the 30 Oakland ,19 1/2   4''  mounting holes .  Want a picture ? Kings32