trunk seal install on 55 Buick Century

Sid Hiatt

I am trouble installing trunk seal on my 55 Buick Century, when installed the trunk does not close tight enough it makes the trunk higher when it is closed, the seal is bought from steele Rubber product's, can someone send me a picture of how the seal is to be installed and what it looks like when installed on the trunk.

Thank you-----Sid 

Steele Rubber has some good products and is an asset to the hobby.  But 30 years ago their trunk seal was a liitle too big and firmer than original and caused the same problem as yours.  For door and trunk seals I use Metro Molded Rubber parts; also windshield gasket if using original glass.

• Like 1

Sid:

I DID use Steele Rubber's trunk seal on my '55 Century and it seemed to work out just fine.  The trunk shuts easily and there are no water leaks.  The first few times I shut the lid I had to slam it shut but after sitting for a while it got easier and easier to shut.  Here are some pictures that I hope will help.  And I think I got the orientation of the seal installation correctly shown.  Sorry for the blurry picture of the end of the seal; Santa didn't bring me a new camera for Christmas.

P1040456.JPG

P1040458.JPG

Trunk Seal Orientation.JPG

Edited by packick
Formatting. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Packick, thanks for the pics, I called Steele and they are sending me another one , they said they have had trouble before

will make sure the one they send is to specks and they are going to make it a foot longer, the one I had seemed to be a bit short. 

Thanks to all, SID