1957 buick super cranking problems

Normann Solheim

Hello Normann, welcome to the forums. There is a big Buick section below this general forum. You will find friendly folks there with lots of Buick experience who will gladly help you if no one has an answer here. You will enjoy looking around there and the various other forums here. 

My first thought on your problem if I understand your question would be the switch shorting out or a bad wire at the back of the switch.

Good luck and welcome.

4 hours ago, Normann Solheim said:

Hello !

I have starting problem with my Buick super 1957. when i turn the ignition key to left the car will start . Have anywon idea whats wrong.

Sorry for my bad English.

Normann from Norway,

Welcome Normann.  Please give more information. The Buick used a switch attached to the Carburetor such that when you turned the ignition switch to "on"  nothing happened till you stepped on the gas pedal to turn the engine over.  But some people by pass that carburetor switch with a simple push button switch.  Does your car still use the carb switch 

It sounds to me like he is saying that the car cranks as soon as he turns ignition switch, instead of waiting until the accelerator is depressed.  Assuming that the carburetor switch is still in place, it sounds like the switch contact is stuck, or it's not getting vacuum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 8:41 PM, 61polara said:

Your switch may have been replaced with an aftermarket switch or is rotated out of position.  Straight up is on, left is off, but unlocked and right is locked on the original switch.

Close, but straight up is on, left is off and locked, and right is off and unlocked on the original switch.

I just drove mine two days ago and can confirm.

TG

• Like 5