unobtanium part for sale on ebay

Seafoam65

44 minutes ago, gungeey said:

from a time standpoint it says "radial" on the side of that tire, don't think it was a picture taken in 63 but not a tire expert

I doubt if a tire manufactured in 1963 that got any kind of use would even hold air now. 

On 12/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, RivNut said:

I've heard this but have no idea as to how true it is:  A customer brings in a car for warranty repair and a new part is installed.  The old part is looked at and refurbished if possible THEN put back into the box the new part came in and put back on the shelf and considered NOS.

Ed, to me NOS is a guide not a specification. I've heard NOS of today are "seconds" we would have known when the NOS were first available for sale. NOS is an a guide or an indicator as close to new as possible but not newly manufactured. NOS is in the same word definition category as reconditioned, remanufactured, refurbished, and restored. What does that mean? NOS means "New Old Stock" and you certainly have to know the context "new old stock" is used or you'll be confused. Even if you know what NOS means does it include the original wrapper/box it came in? I have an example of what I would suspect is NOS, but I'm happy to be wrong. The pic will show a 63 Tri Shield emblem in a plastic wrapper with a number stamped on the wrapper. For all I know the someone could have put a sealed wrapper on the emblem and stamped the part number of the emblem on the wrapper. All in having fun.

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

On 12/27/2018 at 10:57 PM, RivNut said:

Offer the covers cleaned with painted insets for one price, then let the buyer know that for an additional sum the unpainted parts can be polished.  ???????

I looked again at the four you have for sale in the other thread.  Those, at least to me, have the correct "luster" to them.  I know that aluminum can be polished to look like chrome but I think that what you've accomplished is what looks best. Kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears.  Not too dull, not too shiny, but just right.  

Ed, Thank you for your positive comments. Based on the experience I believe you to have I'll take to the bank. Ive seen some aluminum polished to look like chrome. Im of the opinion old cast aluminum is sometimes is good as it going to get buffed to a bright lustre. ( I'm finding out real fast the difference between polishing and buffing ) Again all in fun.

I have seen many many NOS porsche parts that WERE seconds, returned to the dealer, sent back to Porsche and thrown in the back of the warehouse in the original boxes only to be purchased years later by wholesalers at bargain prices .  THEN they are advertised as NOS and compared to the 40 50 year old used items, now look very nice and usable, but just seem to lack that sparkle of a truly new original part.  Still though, original and not some cheap reproduction.      I was very happy to find four NOS turbine wheel covers when Gene Guarnere and I cleaned out a cache of old Riviera parts years ago down here in Georgia. Those along with some original spinners I later found, make my wheel covers really brighten up my Dad's original 64 that when we bought it new was sold with the turbine covers

• Like 1

OK Riviera People: I've been slammed by the best for sayin' this. New Old Stock?  How can it be new if it's 50 years old?  SO DECEIVING!    Why not "Unused old stock"?  It hasn't been on the car, it's old and it's been layin' around for who knows?  I know I can't change the world but i gotta put my 2 cents in the ring.   Mitch

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: I've been slammed by the best for sayin' this. New Old Stock?  How can it be new if it's 50 years old?  SO DECEIVING!    Why not "Unused old stock"?  It hasn't been on the car, it's old and it's been layin' around for who knows?  I know I can't change the world but i gotta put my 2 cents in the ring.   Mitch

Mitch, your 2 cents is worth a lot I look forward to reading. You get to the point and very clear what you mean in your written comments. I like accurate product descriptions and specific specifications if merited. The stuff I try to resesitate starts out unacceptable to put on a proper Buick Riviera. By the time the wheel cover is finished and I’m finished it may be merchantable for someone. I can say with certainty the goods are original Buick products.

Turbinator

22 hours ago, dr914 said:

I have seen many many NOS porsche parts that WERE seconds, returned to the dealer, sent back to Porsche and thrown in the back of the warehouse in the original boxes only to be purchased years later by wholesalers at bargain prices .  THEN they are advertised as NOS and compared to the 40 50 year old used items, now look very nice and usable, but just seem to lack that sparkle of a truly new original part.  Still though, original and not some cheap reproduction.      I was very happy to find four NOS turbine wheel covers when Gene Guarnere and I cleaned out a cache of old Riviera parts years ago down here in Georgia. Those along with some original spinners I later found, make my wheel covers really brighten up my Dad's original 64 that when we bought it new was sold with the turbine covers

Sir, Gene is a favorite trading partner of mine. First class individual.

Turbinator

On 1/3/2019 at 4:32 AM, Turbinator said:

Ed, Thank you for your positive comments. Based on the experience I believe you to have I'll take to the bank. Ive seen some aluminum polished to look like chrome. Im of the opinion old cast aluminum is sometimes is good as it going to get buffed to a bright lustre. ( I'm finding out real fast the difference between polishing and buffing ) Again all in fun.

Ed, my hunch is buyers want the finished product ready to bolt on the wheel and go. The work to half clean the object does not yield the acceptable return. The cost of repair of the cover is an investment the buyer needs to know I’m due a fair return. The cost of powder coat is a cost that yields a better benefit than aerosol spray paint to the buyer. I am adding value to a product any interested buyer can find. The buyer comes up with the challenge 

of getting the product he purchased to look like my finished product.

Fortunately, I don’t have to sell at discounted or give away  prices. Actually, don’t have to sell them at all. Like you and other retirees I earn $ in other areas to pay the rent. 😎

Turbinator

Each person has a different view of parts.  All a seller can do is advertise their product and hope for the best.  All a buyer can do is ask questions and make the best decision they can.   Some people think a bad (or even broken) NOS part is still better than a quality repop.  Some don't care.  And everything in between.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 39BuickEight said:

Each person has a different view of parts.  All a seller can do is advertise their product and hope for the best.  All a buyer can do is ask questions and make the best decision they can.   Some people think a bad (or even broken) NOS part is still better than a quality repop.  Some don't care.  And everything in between.

Sir, you’ve covered all the bases. Quality, reliability, functionality, top my list in car part expectations. A description covering aforementioned characteristics helps me decide to buy or not to buy.

Thank you

Turbinator 

• Thanks 1