Sign in to follow this  
Seafoam65

unobtanium part for sale on ebay

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

You're going to have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait.  😀

No one else knows what's correct so there's nothing to which you can compare what you have and whether you're correct or the other guy is correct.

 

Remember what I said earlier:

 

DON'T PET THE SWEATY STUFF AND DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY STUFF.  

 

Image result for gif don't sweat it.

 

 

Just do it your way and sell, sell, sell.

Ed 

Ed, you are 100% correct. Sell, sell, sell and give the customers what they want. After all this is for fun. Thank Goodness I’m ok with learning about the Riviera. It’s hard to know it all and even impossible to be a “ know it all”.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offer the covers cleaned with painted insets for one price, then let the buyer know that for an additional sum the unpainted parts can be polished.  ???????

 

I looked again at the four you have for sale in the other thread.  Those, at least to me, have the correct "luster" to them.  I know that aluminum can be polished to look like chrome but I think that what you've accomplished is what looks best. Kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears.  Not too dull, not too shiny, but just right.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Tom, highly polished from scraped, pitted, covers I get is the only direction I can go. I saw a pic of 63 Riv turbine cover that looked original to me. The turbine I’m referring did not have a highly polished finish, but looked good to me. I suppose highly polished means different things to different people. Chrome buffed out to a mirror reflection  could be highly polished ,whereas; highly polished (buffed) cast aluminum could have a bright shine. Until I see a definition in the auto industry where NOS is clearly defined I’ll have to go with a subjective view. In the case the goods are yours I apologize for being critical. The cover is a great turbine that I’d be proud to own.

Turbinator

 

Hi Bob,

  My comment was NOT a reference to whatever you are doing with your covers. I would not comment on same...your the captain, it`s your cargo. But you did reference the appearance of THIS cover....

  My comment was an observation re the appearance of the NOS covers I have seen over the years, maybe 20?, and that I`m very confident that if one ordered a `63-`64 NOS cast aluminum wheel cover in 1966 the cover would appear much like this cover in terms of finish/appearance.

  Good luck to the seller and buyer...and to you re your restored covers,

  Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bob,

  My comment was NOT a reference to whatever you are doing with your covers. I would not comment on same...your the captain, it`s your cargo. But you did reference the appearance of THIS cover....

  My comment was an observation re the appearance of the NOS covers I have seen over the years, maybe 20?, and that I`m very confident that if one ordered a `63-`64 NOS cast aluminum wheel cover in 1966 the cover would appear much like this cover in terms of finish/appearance.

  Good luck to the seller and buyer...and to you re your restored covers,

  Tom Mooney

Tom, thank you for your positive comments. My comments were too critical and more likely erroneous in substance. My work experience on shining these rascals has “ made my head too big”. Both of us want the best for buyer and seller in any acquisition of Riviera parts. I know some things, but of course not all things

regarding the 63 Riviera.

Regards,

Bob Burnopp 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

NOS, the shouldered studs have a red tint. I have posted pics of this in the past

Tom

There is a healthy, raised pit on the right side blade of the spinner just outside of the "center circle" which contains the emblem. Probably from combined dirt and moisture while stored. 50 years is a long time even with good quality storage. NOS is very seldom perfect and this is a good example. Looks like the spinner may have taken the brunt of some handling over the years too, but hard to tell with pics of chrome, it`s all about the angle of the light source.  Most of the NOS parts I have obtained over the years have some sort of flaw, very seldom perfect. I am NOT encouraging or discouraging anyone from considering this part, just making an observation.

Tom

Time for glasses...but be careful...my wife aged instantly the first time I put mine on.

Tom

Tom, I wear glasses, but have pretty good corrected vision. Many times I use a magnifier and a magnifier lighted head set. Looking at a chrome piece in a picture throws me in determining real accuracy.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RivNut said:

Not that I've found.  I think that Tom is correct in that the originals were not polished.  They were a more natural aluminum without any real shine.  Although they do look good brought to a nice brilliance.  It's probably that owners wouldn't go to the effort of polishing aluminum.  They'll wash and dry stainless, or pay the gardener to do it,  but as far as doing what's necessary to keep aluminum polished, Riviera buyers weren't into that kind of labor.  Time away from the golf course, etc.

 

In high school,  my girlfriend's dad owned the local grain company.  He always drove a new Electra.  He'd drive it to work then call the local service station to send a guy over to pick it up and take it to the station to be gassed up and washed, and a couple of times a year to be waxed.  It was a car that showed the rest of the town who he was, it wasn't something he would take time for.  If he'd have stepped up to a Riviera, it would have been even more so.  Probably not unlike many other Buick owners of the time.

 

Ed

Ed, Not polished. Here is a pic I scraped off a YouTube video entitled "Ride Along in 63 Buick Riviera". The clip is great and the owners son now owns the car. The original owner was on the design team of the 63 Buick Riviera. Checkout the screen scrape I managed to get from the video. I would assume this is the real deal. Seems all situations point to a wheel cover that is probably untouched. See pic attached.

Tubirnator

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.37.24 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is what the turbines on my '63 looked like when I bought it. That's probably the factory finish but I still like the luster that you've given to the ones you pictured. I would think that paying someone to polish all of these covers before they were mounted on the car would have raised the price of the car enough that the bean counters didn't authorize it.

 

I can't get to my '63 accessory pamphlet right now but I'll probably be able to tomorrow.  I've done my allotment of "no-cast" walking for today.  Tomorrow I'll make sure that I get to it first thing.

 

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

certainly looks NOS sitting around all of these years would have developed some scratches and maybe even some pitting, the originals were never perfect, production line pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, Not polished. Here is a pic I scraped off a YouTube video entitled "Ride Along in 63 Buick Riviera". The clip is great and the owners son now owns the car. The original owner was on the design team of the 63 Buick Riviera. Checkout the screen scrape I managed to get from the video. I would assume this is the real deal. Seems all situations point to a wheel cover that is probably untouched. See pic attached.

Tubirnator

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.37.24 PM.png

  Nope...either the pic is deceiving (which I think is the case as there is obviously a semi-polished look to the center hub under the stainless center) or someone has blasted, or something like age/wear has dulled the outer rim in this pic. All the NOS cast aluminum covers I have layed eyeballs on over the years look exactly like the NOS cover in the Ebay link. 

  It would seem to me that an NOS, never installed item would be a more accurate reflection of what the component looked like originally than the same component which has been in service for 50 years. But that just another opinion...

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 6:34 PM, 1965rivgs said:

  Nope...either the pic is deceiving (which I think is the case as there is obviously a semi-polished look to the center hub under the stainless center) or someone has blasted, or something like age/wear has dulled the outer rim in this pic. All the NOS cast aluminum covers I have layed eyeballs on over the years look exactly like the NOS cover in the Ebay link. 

  It would seem to me that an NOS, never installed item would be a more accurate reflection of what the component looked like originally than the same component which has been in service for 50 years. But that just another opinion...

Tom

Tom, astute observation regarding what the original looks like. I understand in your opinion the single cast aluminum cover for sale on eBay that has never been installed is what it looks like. Well, makes plenty sense to me. I was 13 when the 63 came out and I remember seeing the Riviera and recognizing the Riviera with an exceptionally high cool factor. About that time I was looking for a white Oldsmobile 88 steering wheel with a deep V horn bar for my bike. ( I think it was an 88, but I know it was an Oldsmobile steering wheel )

Thanks for your insights, they make sense.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it is only me, bit something about the term "unobtanium" brings to mind a guy with an MBA taking my order at McDonald's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Maybe it is only me, bit something about the term "unobtanium" brings to mind a guy with an MBA taking my order at McDonald's.

He was  Philosophy major.  Or as the old saying goes, "What's the first thing a philosophy major will ask you?" Answer: "Do you want to supersize that order?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Turbinator said:

Ed, Not polished. Here is a pic I scraped off a YouTube video entitled "Ride Along in 63 Buick Riviera". The clip is great and the owners son now owns the car. The original owner was on the design team of the 63 Buick Riviera. Checkout the screen scrape I managed to get from the video. I would assume this is the real deal. Seems all situations point to a wheel cover that is probably untouched. See pic attached.

Tubirnator

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 5.37.24 PM.png

 

from a time standpoint it says "radial" on the side of that tire, don't think it was a picture taken in 63 but not a tire expert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gungeey said:

 

from a time standpoint it says "radial" on the side of that tire, don't think it was a picture taken in 63 but not a tire expert

Yes, Sir I agree with you on the tire not being around in 63 and I agree the picture was taken in 63. I was guessing and guessing in error, the owners son kept it the way his Dad had it from the factory. Of course, only a guess. Tom sees it from a more experienced perspective and I'm ok anytime with experience. I must say you have good eyes to pick the "radial" up on the tire.

Turbinatore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RivNut said:

He was  Philosophy major.  Or as the old saying goes, "What's the first thing a philosophy major will ask you?" Answer: "Do you want to supersize that order?"

I like the Americans that make up words and the words come in to our daily lives. Logon from the tech world and "sortation" from the USPS defining  how mail is manually or mechanically sorted. What is in a word? Ill just stop banging my head up against a dead horse. I"m going to keep on typing and come out smelling like gang busters.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, gungeey said:

 

from a time standpoint it says "radial" on the side of that tire, don't think it was a picture taken in 63 but not a tire expert

I doubt if a tire manufactured in 1963 that got any kind of use would even hold air now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 7:03 PM, RivNut said:

I've heard this but have no idea as to how true it is:  A customer brings in a car for warranty repair and a new part is installed.  The old part is looked at and refurbished if possible THEN put back into the box the new part came in and put back on the shelf and considered NOS.

Ed, to me NOS is a guide not a specification. I've heard NOS of today are "seconds" we would have known when the NOS were first available for sale. NOS is an a guide or an indicator as close to new as possible but not newly manufactured. NOS is in the same word definition category as reconditioned, remanufactured, refurbished, and restored. What does that mean? NOS means "New Old Stock" and you certainly have to know the context "new old stock" is used or you'll be confused. Even if you know what NOS means does it include the original wrapper/box it came in? I have an example of what I would suspect is NOS, but I'm happy to be wrong. The pic will show a 63 Tri Shield emblem in a plastic wrapper with a number stamped on the wrapper. For all I know the someone could have put a sealed wrapper on the emblem and stamped the part number of the emblem on the wrapper. All in having fun.

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 10:57 PM, RivNut said:

Offer the covers cleaned with painted insets for one price, then let the buyer know that for an additional sum the unpainted parts can be polished.  ???????

 

I looked again at the four you have for sale in the other thread.  Those, at least to me, have the correct "luster" to them.  I know that aluminum can be polished to look like chrome but I think that what you've accomplished is what looks best. Kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears.  Not too dull, not too shiny, but just right.  

Ed, Thank you for your positive comments. Based on the experience I believe you to have I'll take to the bank. Ive seen some aluminum polished to look like chrome. Im of the opinion old cast aluminum is sometimes is good as it going to get buffed to a bright lustre. ( I'm finding out real fast the difference between polishing and buffing ) Again all in fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience NOS mean it has been returned to the dealer damaged.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen many many NOS porsche parts that WERE seconds, returned to the dealer, sent back to Porsche and thrown in the back of the warehouse in the original boxes only to be purchased years later by wholesalers at bargain prices .  THEN they are advertised as NOS and compared to the 40 50 year old used items, now look very nice and usable, but just seem to lack that sparkle of a truly new original part.  Still though, original and not some cheap reproduction.      I was very happy to find four NOS turbine wheel covers when Gene Guarnere and I cleaned out a cache of old Riviera parts years ago down here in Georgia. Those along with some original spinners I later found, make my wheel covers really brighten up my Dad's original 64 that when we bought it new was sold with the turbine covers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Riviera People: I've been slammed by the best for sayin' this. New Old Stock?  How can it be new if it's 50 years old?  SO DECEIVING!    Why not "Unused old stock"?  It hasn't been on the car, it's old and it's been layin' around for who knows?  I know I can't change the world but i gotta put my 2 cents in the ring.   Mitch

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: I've been slammed by the best for sayin' this. New Old Stock?  How can it be new if it's 50 years old?  SO DECEIVING!    Why not "Unused old stock"?  It hasn't been on the car, it's old and it's been layin' around for who knows?  I know I can't change the world but i gotta put my 2 cents in the ring.   Mitch

Mitch, your 2 cents is worth a lot I look forward to reading. You get to the point and very clear what you mean in your written comments. I like accurate product descriptions and specific specifications if merited. The stuff I try to resesitate starts out unacceptable to put on a proper Buick Riviera. By the time the wheel cover is finished and I’m finished it may be merchantable for someone. I can say with certainty the goods are original Buick products.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dr914 said:

I have seen many many NOS porsche parts that WERE seconds, returned to the dealer, sent back to Porsche and thrown in the back of the warehouse in the original boxes only to be purchased years later by wholesalers at bargain prices .  THEN they are advertised as NOS and compared to the 40 50 year old used items, now look very nice and usable, but just seem to lack that sparkle of a truly new original part.  Still though, original and not some cheap reproduction.      I was very happy to find four NOS turbine wheel covers when Gene Guarnere and I cleaned out a cache of old Riviera parts years ago down here in Georgia. Those along with some original spinners I later found, make my wheel covers really brighten up my Dad's original 64 that when we bought it new was sold with the turbine covers

Sir, Gene is a favorite trading partner of mine. First class individual.

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 7:30 AM, Chasander said:

In my experience NOS mean it has been returned to the dealer damaged.

Chasander, Astute observation.

I never thought of that situation. Actually, I had not many thoughts at all on NOS definition.

 

Turbinator

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 4:32 AM, Turbinator said:

Ed, Thank you for your positive comments. Based on the experience I believe you to have I'll take to the bank. Ive seen some aluminum polished to look like chrome. Im of the opinion old cast aluminum is sometimes is good as it going to get buffed to a bright lustre. ( I'm finding out real fast the difference between polishing and buffing ) Again all in fun.

Ed, my hunch is buyers want the finished product ready to bolt on the wheel and go. The work to half clean the object does not yield the acceptable return. The cost of repair of the cover is an investment the buyer needs to know I’m due a fair return. The cost of powder coat is a cost that yields a better benefit than aerosol spray paint to the buyer. I am adding value to a product any interested buyer can find. The buyer comes up with the challenge 

of getting the product he purchased to look like my finished product.

Fortunately, I don’t have to sell at discounted or give away  prices. Actually, don’t have to sell them at all. Like you and other retirees I earn $ in other areas to pay the rent. 😎

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this