New years resolutions, anyone???

carbking

Automobile related, everyone is going to lose weight! 😜  Does anyone ever lose weight?

I have but two:

(1) Finish digitizing most of the existing Stromberg Carburetor Company (USA) records. I acquired the records in 1984, and this has been a continuing project. It appears, at least at the current rate of progress, should finish in maybe October or November.

(2) Continue the transfer of some of my automotive "treasures" to younger enthusiasts (well, maybe older ones as well). Neither of my children collect things automotive.

Jon.

• Like 1

I have GOT to get outside and clean my shop! It WILL happen soon. I need a place to relax and hang around my cars. I can't even work on them in the condition my garage is in. Some of you have been here and are thinking...."Right....he's gonna straighten up THAT mess?". I promise I will.

post-37352-143137996175.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have only one resolution.  I have owned a 1955 Jaguar Drop Head Coupe since 1968 when it was just a 13 year old used car.  It was last run in 1969. I have not even sat in it since 1969. I resolve to either begin its restoration in '19 or sell it. 50 years is long enough to own a car and do nothing with it,  especially considering I have owned a restoration shop since 1979 and have restored other XKs for customers.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Coincidentally have a few carbs that need rebuilding 2 Detroit Lubricators 57s and 3 BB1s....picked up a sonic cleaner, now I have the right tools.  I hate the smell of gasoline on my hands so I have been putting it off...19 is the year.

Now there is a resolution that i LIKE!!! ;)

Jon.

• Like 1

Yes, we think it came back from New Zealand, but that is just an educated guess.  Unfortunately the owner had almost no history on the car.  I did talk to one gentleman who says he thinks he saw the Graham at an importer in California a long time ago, since it is the only RHD 1931 Graham phaeton I know of in the US he might be correct.

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I have GOT to get outside and clean my shop!

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one... 😁

Well, that and I HAVE to get my 67 Delta and 86 Chevy truck done this year, to make room for the next projects.

Continue to stay vertical and active and (if it ever stops raining, or being cold or having huge humidity here on long island) drive my 7th series Packard and 70 series Buick again, now that the doctors and surgeon say I am allowed to  drive a car with manual steering .

• Like 3

Back in the 90s we used to knock out those 86 Chevy trucks out in one day.  New rockers, new cab corners, new fenders, new doors, sometimes new floors.  Bolted and welded together by lunch, ready for paint around 3, spray down the booth and painted by 5.  My cousin would take one side I would take the other, we would flip to see who got what side (drivers side is always worse with salt & rust), all import parts, $75 for a door, $50 for a fender, good thing GM was liberal on the fender alignment..... Open the doors and hood to cut them in, slam them shut and paint... got to love Earl Scheib paint jobs

Earl Scheib Paint Job and Metal work

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

Back in the 90s we used to knock out those 86 Chevy trucks out in one day.  New rockers, new cab corners, new fenders, new doors, sometimes new floors.  Bolted and welded together by lunch, ready for paint around 3, spray down the booth and painted by 5.  My cousin would take one side I would take the other, we would flip to see who got what side (drivers side is always worse with salt & rust), all import parts, $75 for a door, $50 for a fender, good thing GM was liberal on the fender alignment..... Open the doors and hood to cut them in, slam them shut and paint... got to love Earl Scheib paint jobs

Earl Scheib Paint Job and Metal work

Of course, this one I plan to keep and use... 😉

I was always shocked to see how long some of them lasted.  We had one the guy not show up for his truck, did the paperwork to get the title, shaved the door handles, frenched in the antenna, welded up the trim holes, laid down some wicked 1990s purple, pink and baby blue stripes, and purple seat covers, chrome wagon wheels.  I think we got $3500 out of it...it was at a local car show last summer, still in its purple glory.

Looked something like this

Image result for 1980s chevrolet custom truck

Finish to do list on the A roadster, brakes, front end, steering box, shocks and springs.  Maybe clutch.  Actually logistics, been working a lot so I have someone lined up to do the work so maybd a cheat but it still has to get done.  Then install new LB interior and top, already ordered. 

Blast and paint my extra wheels and change out the John Deere Yellow powdercoated ones!!!

Drive more often and farther.

Teach my wife to drive the A.

Attend a couple new events.

I have owned a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL convertible for longer than I like to think about - but, I decided it was time to let someone else take it into their shop and mostly restore it to original.  It has a LOT of the options on it from the factory and I just want to feel it under me - going down the road again.  While the Ford is being done outside, I will begin work at home on my 1936 Dodge rumble seat cp and do what my health will allow me to do. Just way past time for giving my cars some attention.

• Like 2

Enjoy life every day!  Make new friends and enjoy the company of existing ones. And one of my favorites, don’t sweat the small stuff.

Having gone through a major life changing event, the selloff of many possessions and downsizing, I have found that good friends help you when you think there is no hope left.

For those who have promised this is the year to start or finish that long overdue project, be sure and share it with the rest of us.  We are cheering you on even if we’re not physically there to hold a wrench.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Enjoy life every day!  Make new friends and enjoy the company of existing ones. And one of my favorites, don’t sweat the small stuff.

Having gone through a major life changing event, the selloff of many possessions and downsizing, I have found that good friends help you when you think there is no hope left.

For those who have promised this is the year to start or finish that long overdue project, be sure and share it with the rest of us.  We are cheering you on even if we’re not physically there to hold a wrench.

Terry you stated this perfectly well, and they are my thoughts as well, seems we have had a similar situation/experience  and need to reflect upon what we still have left and who really truly cared for us and were our friends. I am only starting to do a bit of down sizing. I was made well aware of who cares for me and my son, and who the car clubs and car friends really are. Very pleased and surprised at some and very disappointed and shocked at others. It is what it is,

WEG

• Like 1

I had my health scare seven years ago in my mid 40’s. I’m down 135 lbs, and can fit in all my cars again. Nothing more important than family, friends, and taking care of you health. I got lucky and pulled through without too many lasting complications. New lease on life, new attitude on living life. Spending more time with family, friends, and cars. My only regret is I didn’t doo it ten years sooner. Photos are six years ago and this summer. Still fighting the beltline every day.......a never ending battle.

804A4115-52BC-4560-97EA-762C811F7569.jpeg

7755D286-5801-4AB0-AA21-7D304FA92359.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This year I'll - finish restoring Susan's MGB, repaint the GTO, get the 35 Morris back on the road,  start working on the 15 T, start on the 36 James Motorcycle, add on to the back of the garage to do it all in, spend more time on yardwork (yuck), and start another collection of something related to old cars.  Guess that takes care of resolutions for years to come because I'll probably never finish of this anytime soon!  Oh, forgot one - get back to Hershey again.

Terry

• Like 3

Ed, glad you have the "new lease on life"!!! One doesn't know what or how precious that "lease" is until you are in an ER flat on your back and people who work there in white uniforms keep looking at you and asking "how do you feel, how are you".  I think there are a lot of us here on the forum who have had to cope with "the dark side" and we are indeed lucky that we are still able to be here now ! I recall a nurse looking at me asking me "can I get you anything" and my answer was "Yes, permission to leave so I can go home and drive my Packard touring and Buick Roadmaster  ".  I went on to explain what a Packard was.................................I think she warned the other people on staff that I was a bit eccentric. Happy New Year to everyone reading this and may it be a GREAT New Year with lots of old cars and good friends. To repeat, Life is short, don't put off telling people you care about how much they mean to you nor put off buying that useless part that doesn't fit anything you will ever own but just like it because it makes you happy.

Walt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My car resolution is to decide which way to go on the 1965 Thunderbird I bought this year. Should I make it a more reliable and presentable driver or try my hand at a more extensive refurbishment. It runs and drives pretty fair, but might be a little on the tired side. Has 90,000 miles on it, but is pretty solid. Driver side front floor needs fixing, other than that, no terrible rust. I paid $2500 and also gave the very nice previous owner two guns - A Marlin rifle and a Smith and Wesson  revolver. Door latches need work, too.

I already got the sequential rear turn signals working properly. I was paranoid the whole time - I crawled into forward area of the giant trunk and was worried someone would close the rear deck lid on me. :D Any suggestions on cleaning the marks off the leather interior are welcome.

I'll also lose weight in '19.

IMG_0062.thumb.JPG.89c6c8ac541cbf47f3cfc0b247404466.JPGIMG_0063.thumb.JPG.fc80fb89b00096c8e6f9737d07d596f2.JPG

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

Any suggestions on cleaning the marks off the leather interior are welcome.

Yes, it looks like they carried a tire in the back seat.

I suggest that bald guys 'Magic Eraser'.

Are the front seats original, it seems to me the front and back seats should be more matching.

29 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Yes, it looks like they carried a tire in the back seat.

I suggest that bald guys 'Magic Eraser'.

Are the front seats original, it seems to me the front and back seats should be more matching.

A tire, among other things.

I believe the front seats to be original and correct (see picture), but the two tone coloration may or may not not be. I can't find another example online with a two tone interior, but the darker side panel colors seem to corresponding to some of the other interior trim. If the leather can clean up, I'll definitely keep it as is. If it can't, I may dye things a different color.

This is an online interior:

1965 Thunderbird Special Landau interior view from driver's door

This my interior...though the colors seem odd due to lighting, they are consistent. Door panels are jacked up, and interestingly, I see this psuedo "repair" attempt in other cars, too. 

IMG_0065.thumb.JPG.86cc992b8a9389f9734829aec318c018.JPG

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Nice one James.  I'm kicking around on getting a Bird too.  I'm looking at the 1961 body style.  It may be soon if it works out. :)

Thanks. '61 - 3 is probably my favorite era, followed by the one I've got. Believe it or not, as cool as the original two-seater series T-Birds were, I really don't think I'd want one. More expensive , not as practical, and probably legroom issues. I even have legroom probs with the 65. If it weren't for the slide over steering wheel, getting in and out wouldn't be fun.

Jim

18 hours ago, JamesR said:

This my interior...though the colors seem odd due to lighting, they are consistent. Door panels are jacked up, and interestingly, I see this psuedo "repair" attempt in other cars, too. 

You are probably correct.

I am not much of a Ford guy.

Although years ago I had a 73, might have been a 74 T-Bird. (What a boat) 460. It looked like you could land airplanes on the hood. It had a tilt wheel.

And before that I think it was a 60. It was one that was more rounded in the front. It too had the swing away steering wheel.

Those were the days when they cost less than a thousand to own.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:35 AM, 35cz8 said:

I have owned a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL convertible for longer than I like to think about - but, I decided it was time to let someone else take it into their shop and mostly restore it to original.  It has a LOT of the options on it from the factory and I just want to feel it under me - going down the road again.  While the Ford is being done outside, I will begin work at home on my 1936 Dodge rumble seat cp and do what my health will allow me to do. Just way past time for giving my cars some attention.

Sounds great, 35cz8. Good luck to you. One good thing I am happy to share: Auto Metal Direct (AMD) in Georgia has just released a whole lot of brand new reproduction sheet metal body parts for 1963 fastback Galaxies this past year. Lots of those parts will likely fit your convertible. Not long ago, good sheet metal for those Fords was almost unobtainable. Cheers! 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

My auto-related resolution(s) this year include knuckling down at work and earning enough income to afford the kind of restoration work I want to do on my original 1970 Chevelle SS 454. I also want to solve a fuel problem in my old Hupmobile touring car, mount the remaining new tires, and get the strap-style rear Gabriel Shocks rebuilt, so I can take my grandkids all over town in it. Longer term I'd like to increase the size of my garage, so I can both store two cars in it, AND have space to work in. 

Cheers, and a HAPPY 2019  to all my AACA forum friends. I truly enjoy your "company" here. 😊

Figure out away to get my wife to enjoy riding in my 38 original (except for seat covers) Studebaker State Commander. She sits there holding on to the arm rest scared to death even thought I put 3 point seat belts in it. It’s my daily driver and I enjoy it very much. It’s frustrating to always have to take her “modern” car instead of the “beast”.  I do get to drive around with two blondes in the backseat and she doesn’t mind at all so it’s not all bad 

4131F0B1-001E-43E9-B18F-7DA0D60232A9.jpeg

• Like 1

Hmmmm.... Automotive Related news years Resolution(s)

my main goal this year is to get my 1929 Chevrolet On the Road, been working on it for 5+ years about 85% complete. Working on getting my front bumper Bracket & Crossbars Reshaped then I can get crossbars chromed and all the black parts painted. Then off to the races of putting it all back together !@!

the car was running (sort of) when i got it June 2013. not sure when it was fully on the road operational ?!? Guy I bought it from sent me pictures he had of it under restoration, they were date 2010 and the car was in complete pieces !!

Goal is to have it on the road and 95% done by our Annual Show in September, thats the goal...  the same goal as last year !!

I'll add another auto-related resolution for 2019. I'm going to find time to start posting more of the old car photos that I have hoarded over the years. My parents were in the old car hobby back into the 1950's, and my Mom was constantly snapping photos of tours and other events we attended. Plus she bought old photos at junk shops and flea markets whenever she found them with interesting old clothing or antique cars (she taught herself to sew costumes which closely resembled antique clothing, for use on our old car tours, etc). I know you folks will enjoy seeing them, and it will be fun to try and get some of those cars identified. But it's time consuming, and I have been putting it off for too long. Maybe 2019 will be the year for sharing my pix. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lump said:

Sounds great, 35cz8. Good luck to you. One good thing I am happy to share: Auto Metal Direct (AMD) in Georgia has just released a whole lot of brand new reproduction sheet metal body parts for 1963 fastback Galaxies this past year. Lots of those parts will likely fit your convertible. Not long ago, good sheet metal for those Fords was almost unobtainable. Cheers! 

Thanks for the info,  I will certainly keep it in my files.  My convertible was shipped to L A, Cal and was then brought to AZ where I bought it.  It sat outside, unprotected for some time and does have some floorboard rust that will require some replacement - but a lot.  The body is really solid with little real damage and quite repairable without replacement.  My wife and I hope to enjoy it when it is done and have both waited a long long time to get started on the restoration.  Thanks again,

Bob

IMG_0340r.thumb.jpg.d09360376560e2c51fe829e90eb95387.jpg

• Like 1

I already got the sequential rear turn signals working properly. I was paranoid the whole time - I crawled into forward area of the giant trunk and was worried someone would close the rear deck lid on me

somebody has been reading to many Steven King novels or watching too many mob movies! 😄

I would just clean up your car as is and enjoy it! nice original.