DB26

Just Dropped The Oil Pan on My ‘26. Have some questions (With Pictures)

Thank you. I have added the remaining oil. It’s news to me about the oil indicator being in different spots. I wonder why they changed the design. And I had no idea about the cap that goes onto the rod. I’ll have to look out for one. 

I have some pictures of what they look like, will see if I can find them. The basically look like a little hat, flat on top, about 5/8 inch diameter. I don't think the parts book shows when they changed, but you can them in the early Books of information. 

On 1/7/2019 at 3:44 PM, nearchoclatetown said:

You are at the bare minimum with the rod at that height. Depending on the year of your engine there is either an aluminum or steel cap that belongs on top of the rod. The early ones were threaded and later ones press fit. 

Is that right Doug? A cap on top of the rod? I have never seen a cap on any of the pile of engines I have or anyone else's either! Something to look into I guess?

David and others, check the top of the rod, there are threads on early ones. At least until about 1918 they used the aluminum ones that threaded on. I have only seen a few. I have cast some new ones but the correct tap is impossible to find, may be 5 X 46 or 48. I forget but I know I looked in every catalog I have and no one makes the tap. I even checked into having one ground but gave up as it's expensive. After about 1918 they went to the pressed on steel one like is pictured above. They are very light in weight. I am guessing most of them vibrated loose and fell off along the road. That will be something to look for when you go for a walk. The weight is something to keep in mind when substituting with a rivet. 

I don't have any 1918 or earlier engines or cars so no issue there! I will do some looking in my parts and pieces and in books and see what I can find. Thanks Doug.