Replacing Windshields On My 1938 66S

Daves1940Buick56S

Both of my windshields are delaminating. I was going to have them replaced, but after reading the procedure in the shop manual I wonder if I can do it. It seems to be one of those things that has some subtleties that you have to learn. Has anyone here done this, and any do's and don'ts?

Cheers, Dave

I did find info on putting in the new ones in Gary's saga, and it looks like I will need some helpers. Time to break out the beer. But not much info on removal. Is it easier just to cut up the seal? Doe the glass resist being pushed out? I am going to pull the dash first so no worries about it getting marked up.

Cheers, Dave

If you are replacing the seals, I guess it really doesn’t matter how you remove the glass and seals.  Mine were petrified into the pinch weld and my glass/seals came out in pieces. 

Definately get a helper and I suggest using the “string “ method to install the glass (like I did on my rear windows). It really was a better technique.  

You have your windshield garnish molding out, protect your dash panel. 

It’s not that bad a job.  Be sure to protect your paint all around.  If you use soap as a lubricant, things get slippery and you can easily drop tools.....   

Gary

• Like 1

It reminds me of my de-lam and milked windshield on my '37 back in 1963. New Jersey State inspectors would not allow for any "milking" of windows. I learned that if I painted the milked portion of my windshield with flat black paint and always parked it so that the sun hit it directly,  the milking would go away temporarily. The paint heated the windshield enough that most of the milking went away. After removing the paint, I got through NJ inspection.