‘35 Commander oil filter installation

37S2de

I am finally getting around to installing the oil filter canister that Jerry Kurtz modified to accept modern spin-on filters on my ‘35 Commander 250 cubic inch eight.  It has been so long since I’ve done this that I can’t figure out where the infeed to the filter comes from.  In fact, I’ve never done it on an eight. I did it on the six in the Coupe-Express, but the other 250 eight I had did not have a filter.

The first photo shows the plug where I believe the return line from the filter is plumbed.  The second photo shows the only other possibility for a feed line. It is the bolt just above the pressure relief valve. Is that correct? The third photo just shows the oil gauge feed line and what I think is a plug to drain the block. Does anyone have a picture showing the line installation on their 250?

In mounting the filter bracket —- should I use more of the copper crush washers between the bracket and the water jacket?  Obviously I’ll keep the washers under the bolt heads.  I’ve had such good luck with keeping the water jacket dry that I’d hate to mess it up now.

Thanks. Tom

01857663-1191-405F-8E0F-1B7BDE44F19F.jpeg

DC549DCD-E01C-4B27-9C35-AE5605C174C0.jpeg

508C20B2-7072-47C9-8809-41D00B747C4C.jpeg

Edited by 37S2de
Spelling (see edit history)

I installed the filter housing today. The first picture shows the modern spin-on filter inside the original canister.  The second picture shows everything all buttoned up.  It’s hard to get good pictures of the installation due to lighting and shadows. This job would have been a lot easier if I had removed the generator and rag joint because my hands sure didn’t have much room back in there bending and fitting the tubing, especially on the return line in back of, and under, the canister.

When I sent the canister to Jerry for modification I asked him to not paint it when he was done.  I wanted the filter to blend in with the rest of the “patina”.  

I really hated to paint the cylinder head when I had to replace the cracked head that was on the car when I bought it, but it had to be done. When the machine shop finished planing the head flat it was all raw metal and had to have paint.  The head looks out of place in that engine bay

Tom

FAA3DD87-6128-49DF-9A20-CE3A22AE76E9.jpeg

F0C797E2-9627-4346-9A9F-3808F018C007.jpeg

Funny coincidence! I could really use photographs from all 4 sides as well as top and bottom. if that's not too inconvenient. My email is piazzapourhouse@gmail.com. Looks as though I'm missing the bracket up front that holds the pulley and fan and who knows what else! Thanks for your offer to help! Are you looking for anything? CP

Very nice solution.

If have been wondering about those conversions. It seems they use a full flow element in a bypass filter situation. The full flow filters are usually working at 20 to 40 microns, whereas bypass filter elements work to much smaller sizes than that. I want to do such a conversion too, but haven't found a bypass filter to fit into my canister.