leak at torque ball, '51 Super

Kestrel

I wondering if fixing a leak coming from under the rubber boot requires the rear axle be disconnected and moved back with the torque tube to permit access ? I've read the manual but can't find a specific answer. So far the only visible leak in the Dynaflow is from behind this rubber boot.  The book says it might be worn cross shaft bearing. Either way, I probably need to get inside this boot.

I need  to change out the ATF fluid but thought it best to first address this leak. It does weep constantly, with the car motionless, leaving a small puddle every day. I haven't checked for other leaks after driving the car yet. I'll save that fun for later in the game when she's on the ground. I see a couple of old Buick suppliers sell a Dynaflow Torque Ball Seal Kit and boot. Maybe this is a common issue ???  Thanks all !

IMG_1133.thumb.jpeg.cf6b4b6d12dfae47601e3d06597d33f2.jpeg

The rubber boot is a dust seal. The leak is actually between the torque ball and the outer retainer.   The rear end MUST BE PULLED BACK or removed. How much ATF have you had to add and how often? The picture does not indicate a terrible leak.  Might be best to leave alone and monitor for awhile.

Ben

Don't know. I only test drove the car once when purchased in November. I've been busy simply degreasing, assessing things, like brakes, before I do any more road tests. So maybe I should just change the fluid and hold off with the rear end, for now as you suggested. I don't it's ever been changed. The car only has 27,000 + miles and it looks dirty. I 'm anxious to check out the state of the engine first anyway. 

Thank you

• Like 1

The latest torque ball seal kits provide a new outer torque ball retainer that has a rubber seal bonded to the inside.   This seal rides on the torque ball and replaces the older system with the rubber boot.   This type of torque ball sealing system came out I believe in the late 1950's and is backward compatible to the early 1950's for Dynaflow equipped cars.   You will not need the rubber boot after you install the new outer retainer.

Joe, BCA 33493

• Thanks 2