Pilgrim65

Boxing Day inc chitty chitty bang bang

That “car” is NOT .......Chitty........not even close. 

• Like 1

I remember when George Button bought both of the Chitty movie cars, I thought $35,000 was a lot at the time, but that was a long time ago . 

Bob 

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Although I agree with you completely I like this one a lot more than some of the “recreations” I have seen... made out of pieces of cars I might care about. 

The movie Chittys used 1960s Ford underpinnings. this one looks to be LaFrance based.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Here's another "Chitty". Pic's taken at Berry, south of Sydney, Australia. Powered by a Holden(via Buick) V6.

Chitty1.JPG

Chitty2.JPG

Chitty3.JPG

Chitty4.JPG

Chitty5.JPG

Chitty6.JPG

Hi show was in the village of Romsey  nr Southampton , south of England 8 degrees ,rain had stopped when we arrived about 10am 

Dont know history of that chitty but looks pretty similar and they play the song as they go along .

think it may be from beaulieu car museum which is nearby , will investigate and post 

I can’t remember all the details, but I think they built two or three cars for thr movies, with only wine that would actually drive on its own.  Someone recently told me the current owner of the driving car owns the rights to it and is aggressive about trademark and copyright issues and will often litigate with anyone who makes or has a replica of the car. Not sure how accurate the information is. I also believe there may be one or two exact replica that have been built. 

Actually, the ORIGINAL car was an English racing car built by Count Louis Zborowski. It was a chain drive Mercedes chassis with a Maybach aircraft engine.

• Like 1

I was a little kid in the 1960's, but I didn't see the movie for the first time until about 5 years ago when my own kids were 10 or 11. I was kind of surprised I'd missed seeing it all of those years.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," "The Love Bug," "My Mother the Car," "The Munsters," and the Batmobile....there were a lot of kids' shows geared around cars back then. ;)

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1