WTB. A/C bracket for aluminum covers

powerage

Hi guys. Doing some engine bay detailing and tried fitting some aluminum finned valve covers on my 63. Of course the a/c bracket is different. Is a bracket going to be tricky to find? Can anyone help? I don't want to be out of action for long looking.. but they sure look cool!

Thanks guys

Matt

You'll find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow first.  One thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the placement of the two brackets.  Do they line up on each intake the same?  I don't know.  Because of carb placement, the mounting holes in the intakes could be in different places which would mean that the brackets are not interchangeable.  

At the ROA event this past summer, there was a pair of finned covers that had the fins ground down to make the OE bracket work.  With everything in place, it was really difficult to notice what had been done.  Clark's Corvair used to sell a repo bracket but I think they no longer offer it.  It shouldn't be too difficult to modify the bracket you have.  It's plenty sturdy and could stand some trimming.

Good luck,

Ed

Addendum.

About an hour after I posted my thoughts, I got a call from Tim N. up in Illinois who confirmed my thoughts.  The 2x4 bracket does not bolt to a 1x4 manifold.  The bolt holes on the intakes are about 1-1/2" off.  We talked about it a little and we agreed that the stock bracket is so well built that it might be conceivable to modify the 1x4 bracket by cutting off the arm that goes across the valve cover and just use the head bolt to support what's left of the bracket where it bolts to the compressor  It would look cleaner that way as well.

Ed

• Like 1

A 1x4 aluminum cover bracket, I agree, would be difficult to find. They are much more popular on the 2x4 set-ups.  i think that in '66 ALL the rear brackets were made to fit with or without aluminum covers.  Then you only have the 1x4 & 2x4 diff. to work out. I TOTALLY agree with Ed on just modifying your bracket to fit. I've done it many times with no problems.

Tom T.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, powerage said:

Hi guys. Doing some engine bay detailing and tried fitting some aluminum finned valve covers on my 63. Of course the a/c bracket is different. Is a bracket going to be tricky to find? Can anyone help? I don't want to be out of action for long looking.. but they sure look cool!

Thanks guys

Matt

Hi Matt,

When I fitted finned covers on my ‘63 with a/c it also needed that special bracket to clear the higher covers. Not sure what it came from but luckily my seller had that as part of the deal. I’m sure they are out there, no doubt someone who has a spare to sell  will respond. This is it here.

good luck,

RODNEY 😀😀😀😀

B4C9F462-E28F-4984-83C8-7D86E141433B.jpeg

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I didn't even consider the bracket for aluminum covers being made for the 2x4 manifold rather than a 1x4.

I've modified my stock bracket which now looks a lot like the Clarks one and fits perfectly. 

On to the next mission!

8 minutes ago, powerage said:

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I didn't even consider the bracket for aluminum covers being made for the 2x4 manifold rather than a 1x4.

I've modified my stock bracket which now looks a lot like the Clarks one and fits perfectly. 

On to the next mission!

As Mr. Earl says over on the Buick General forum, "If there ain't pictures, it didn't happen."  Show us some photos of what you came up with.  

Here is a pic of what I did. Waiting on my aluminum valve covers to arrive. Friend brought over his wall hang cover aluminum cover so I could mock the bracket up. I cut the radius support off. Made more of a radius for clearance. Bought some 3/16" x1" flat bar and re radiused that to match what I ground out of the original bracket. Welded it on. The factory aluminum cover can be removed with the bracket on. Now after looking at the pic I am going to radius the upper left bolt surround (in pic a bit more) . looks out of place now looking at it. Haha. Always something

20181230_062343.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, demon452 said:

Here is a pic of what I did. Waiting on my aluminum valve covers to arrive. Friend brought over his wall hang cover aluminum cover so I could mock the bracket up. I cut the radius support off. Made more of a radius for clearance. Bought some 3/16" x1" flat bar and re radiused that to match what I ground out of the original bracket. Welded it on. The factory aluminum cover can be removed with the bracket on. Now after looking at the pic I am going to radius the upper left bolt surround (in pic a bit more) . looks out of place now looking at it. Haha. Always something

20181230_062343.jpg

I'm betting there will be quite a few guys who will be emulating this.  Good job.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my standard AC bracket that would fit over non-finned valve covers. I have the finned valve covers. I always figured on modding my bracket once I get my AC in. But the further I get on my build the further from “stock” I am getting. I am now considering aftermarket AC which will NOT require this bracket of mine. That is still to be determined. 

I took this pic at the same angle as the pic Powerage posted so we can compare the modded bracket vs non modded bracket. This mod is fairly easy for most of us to do on our bracket. But what if we/you don’t have a bracket??

Questions:

Would it be a good idea to ask my buddy if he wants to make these for u guys?

How many guys need them?

Is there a big demand for these?

ACAA520F-91D8-49F2-AE65-4931684A8B00.thumb.jpeg.d717ce859255879cefb858765a26c04f.jpeg

Someone needs to compare the attachment holes on the 1x4 and 2x4 intake manifolds to make sure they're in the same location.  If the holes are not in the exact same place, the 2x4 bracket will not work on the 1x4 manifold.  A modified 1x4 bracket is probably your best bet. 

As long as you're aware that the holes are not in the same location on each one, then buying a 2x4 bracket so you can install finned covers on a 1x4 engine is not going to work.  For a 1x4 engine, modify the one you have or see what you might be able to fabricate.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

Here is a pic of my standard AC bracket that would fit over non-finned valve covers. I have the finned valve covers. I always figured on modding my bracket once I get my AC in. But the further I get on my build the further from “stock” I am getting. I am now considering aftermarket AC which will NOT require this bracket of mine. That is still to be determined. 

I took this pic at the same angle as the pic Powerage posted so we can compare the modded bracket vs non modded bracket. This mod is fairly easy for most of us to do on our bracket. But what if we/you don’t have a bracket??

Questions:

Would it be a good idea to ask my buddy if he wants to make these for u guys?

How many guys need them?

Is there a big demand for these?

ACAA520F-91D8-49F2-AE65-4931684A8B00.thumb.jpeg.d717ce859255879cefb858765a26c04f.jpeg

So, you're saying that I could do away with this A/C bracket over the valve cover since my car has a Sanden compressor with it's Vintage Air unit now? It will hold fine just mounted at the front?

1 hour ago, jframe said:

So, you're saying that I could do away with this A/C bracket over the valve cover since my car has a Sanden compressor with it's Vintage Air unit now? It will hold fine just mounted at the front?

Yes. That is my understanding. I have not crossed that bridge yet. But all the research I have found points to the same outcome. New style AC compressors (like ones used by Vintage Air) do NOT need the rear bracket on our first gen Rivs. Most recently I was talking to Russ Martin (Nailhead Guru in NoCal) & he confirmed this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Yes. That is my understanding. I have not crossed that bridge yet. But all the research I have found points to the same outcome. New style AC compressors (like ones used by Vintage Air) do NOT need the rear bracket on our first gen Rivs. Most recently I was talking to Russ Martin (Nailhead Guru in NoCal) & he confirmed this.

Makes sense; I bet they are considerably lighter than the old A6 compressors. May take mine off then, solve the problem of fitting finned valve covers to mine for sure.

• 8 months later...