ID this railcar front end

30DodgePanel

Kaiser, it's hard to tell if the emblem is still there, even when magnified. I own both a 26 Chrysler and a 27 Nash, the radiators are very similar. You may be right about it being an earlier Nash than mine.

One thing for sure is the bottom part of the radiator shell appears missing and I don't think the hood belongs with that radiator.

28 minutes ago, TerryB said:

East Broad Top railroad is still alive and working in central PA, not far from State College PA.  They may still have the unit in your picture.

Or maybe other photos of it from a different angle.

What are those wheels? 

I have never seen an automotive disc with stamped(?) spokes? 

Are they a specific railroad type wheel?  Or automotive discs adapted for rail use? 

17 hours ago, TerryB said:

East Broad Top railroad is still alive and working in central PA, not far from State College PA.  They may still have the unit in your picture.

So I went to the East Broad Top railway site only to find the railroad is not currently in operation.  A group known as the Friends of the East Broad Top are keeping it alive by performing restoration to several railroad cars.  On the site the rail car in the first picture posted in this thread is shown after its restoration in 2006.  Very interesting read, just look for the story of the M-3 restoration.

• Thanks 1

Looks like John nailed it

I found the photo in my original post on a Aussie site while researching 1927 Dodge Senior Six engines.

Amazing what we come across in research isn't it...

Wonder what happened to the original rims though?

www.spikesys.com/EBT/Loco/m3.html

EBSR 1.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The East broad railcar looks like a shed on wheels. Maybe it was only a track inspection car?

There were lots of road vehicle based railcars.

The restored Ford T chassis railcar at the Pleasant Point railway in South Canterbury has a more sophisticated looking body, although from reading the story it was not well ventilated.

http://www.pleasantpointrail.org.nz/Model-T-Ford-Railcar

Related image

11 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

There were lots of road vehicle based railcars.

True..

Here are just a few from a 1930 Chrysler bulletin for the Dodge Brothers truck bases and the available types of cars per wheelbase:

1/2 tons were not available.

With so many auto manufacturers of the day, it's amazing that more of them didn't survive.

Railcar 9.jpg