1931 OLDSMOBILE BRAKE/U-JOINT UPGRADE QUESTION

DE SOTO

Ok, 

Some may remember the '31 Olds Coupe I posted For Sale for a Friend .....

Well, He needed some money and as always i was WEAK & now own it.

I thought i had a Plan until i saw the Cable Brakes & that Stupid U-Joint set up 🤢

her are a few questions I need to ask the Oldsmobile Guys :::

1 ..... Is there a Later Juice Brake that guys have adapted ? .... Chevy Truck, Car .. ???

Id like to keep the Goofy bolt pattern if possible or go Chevy 6-lug

2 .... Are there any Known Yolks that can be adapted to the Trans & Rear to put a Real drive shaft In it ??

Any info would be great, If no one has any ideas .. & .. I Keep this thing .. I will update back when i figure it out

Its not gonna get " Hot Rodded " .... But just the short once over I did, Its not gonna stay 100% Stock either.

1930 Olds 4.jpg

1930 Olds 5.jpg

I do not know what type of U joints an Olds has.  My Pontiac had "Mechanics" u joints that apparently are not rebuildable.  I just cut the yokes off and put standard spicer  yokes and joints in my original drive shaft.

A picture might help those of us who have never been under an Oldsmobile.

Attached are 2 pictures of "Mechanics" universal joints.  I have not seen any, anywhere in the last 59 years.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, Tinindian said:

I do not know what type of U joints an Olds has.  My Pontiac had "Mechanics" u joints that apparently are not rebuildable.  I just cut the yokes off and put standard spicer  yokes and joints in my original drive shaft.

A picture might help those of us who have never been under an Oldsmobile.

Attached are 2 pictures of "Mechanics" universal joints.  I have not seen any, anywhere in the last 59 years.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

2.jpg

1.jpgThe Oldsmobile U-Joint is just a flat wafer of stiff Rubber, 3 bolts on the Drive Shaft & 3 on the Yolks.

• 3 weeks later...

my 32' olds brakes are rock solid with the cables. Right now only the chassis is done but when I first got the car and drove it in my driveway, the brakes surprised me at how good they were. Still mechanical so you have to push some but they give better feedback than a lot of the hydraulic systems.